FORUMS: list search recent posts

View Subclips of a Sequence

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Wright
View Subclips of a Sequence
on Jan 29, 2013 at 7:26:34 pm

Is it possible to show markers that are contained in a sequence?

I'm able to "convert markers to subclips" which allows me to view all clips and subclips, but I need to see what's in the sequence. So I select the sequence and "view sequence clips" which shows me all of the clips, but not the subclips (which contains the keywords I need for my script/outline).

I'm sure this is something CatDV can do, it's just a matter of finding the correct steps. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Andrew
CatDV Pro 9.0.6

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: View Subclips of a Sequence
on Jan 30, 2013 at 11:11:11 pm

There is not a direct link from a sequence to a subclip, that I'm personally aware of. Perhaps the Squarebox folks can speak to this better than I.

I tend to avoid working in subclips editorially much because of this. (Just had a conversation this am about this with a client.) Also notice that any metadata tagged into a subclip does not flow "up" to the master clip. For this reason alone I avoid it as it can be a waste of time to tag metadata that isn't being pushed up the chain. (And it confuses users, as well. "I swear I tagged that!")

Editorial workflows are the most difficult part of CatDV or any MAM, in my opinion.

From what I can see, subclips seem to be in CatDV for more temporary use and more from the Asset Management side rather than Production. (Treat them as permanent assets and use them as clips and things work really well) But editing with them is not really like a true NLE where relationships are preserved as, from what I know, that is a pretty deep database relationship best left to the NLE boys. CatDV is a MAM at its core after all.

Again, I'd love to hear from Squarebox officially on this.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Feb 3, 2013 at 2:57:16 pm

You can also right click on a sequence in the tree navigator and choose View Source Clips. Does that give you the sort of thing you want?

CatDV doesn't aim to provide full editing capabilties. Its support for subclips and sequences is primarily designed to allow it to represent the results of your labours if you've logged clips in an NLE, so you can search for and use those subclips again if you want.

Return to posts index

Andrew Wright
on Feb 3, 2013 at 5:04:48 pm

View Source Clips would be perfect if it would show the sub clips (or keywords) rather than just the media file name.

I actually did all of the key wording and editing in FCPX, but it wasn't able to create the script/outline I'm looking for so I brought it into CatDV. Within CatDV I used two steps to get me closer to my objectives: (1) I converted keywords to sub clips and then exported the sub clip data to Excel and then (2) I selected the sequence, viewed source files (which includes the times in the sequences) and exported to Excel. THEN, it was a matter of putting all of the sub clips in the correct order my looking as the list in FCPx -- that was the painful part since I had about 600 clips.

Since we're just dealing with data here, I'm a little surprised this isn't possible. Even a CMX output would get me close, but I'd still be missing the keywords (which are my clip names that the clients needs).

How do other editors communicate with their clients? I post a video online and provide and excel "script" listing each clip number and the timecode where it appears. Then the client say cut clip 123 and move 456, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]