FORUMS: list search recent posts

Linking to Avid Media not working

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robb Harriss
Linking to Avid Media not working
on Jan 26, 2013 at 3:11:24 am

Well, I thought I had this down, but not quite.
When I export and ALE (or tab delimited file) from Avid and import it into CatDV (10 w/MXF) there is no link to the media. The data columns come through, but nothing is linked. "Try to link to Avid" files is checked as are all the MXF checkboxes in the preferences.

Now these are DNxHD files captured from tape. MXF files that are transcodes of AMA media work just fine. The carry forward information related to a source while, while the tape generated Avid media does not.

Now if I import the entire Avid media directory the same files come in linked just fine. But then I get none of the bin structure setup in Avid when they were captured. And it gets a little cumbersome importing "zillions" of clips each time you want to import a new capture set. I tried applying an ALE log to the clips imported directly from the Avid Media directory. After several attempts I got one clip to create a sub clip, which then wasn't playable. When linked the MXF files play just fine in CatDV.

Note that ALL columns in the Avid bin are selected and displayed when I do this. The tape-captured files, however, do not display a "source file." Nor is a "mediapath" data field included in the ALE or Tab Delimited exports. Do I need to somehow add a custom column to the Avid bin?

So what am I doing wrong?
Robb

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: Linking to Avid Media not working
on Jan 29, 2013 at 9:30:08 pm

Currently the "Try to link to Avid files" option works for file-based media only, not tape-based. I'll try to find out how easy it would be to extend this to tape-based media as well.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Linking to Avid Media not working
on Jan 29, 2013 at 9:37:00 pm

yes, I was really surprised. Everyone carries on about dealing with file-based media and here it was connecting no problem. But then the tape based didn't work at all. Currently I'm importing the entire Avid MXF media directory. But it results in lot of repetition and then a lot of hand work to move files into their respective catalogs. There's got to be an easier way.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]