FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filemaker into CatDV - Relink media.

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jack Bibbo
Filemaker into CatDV - Relink media.
on Jan 24, 2013 at 11:21:57 pm

Ok I was able to DL CatDV for a trial run. We have been using Filemaker Pro with very good success. We have about 23, ooo files in there. I would like to bring that info and work in Cat DV to really take our asset manager to the a better place.

I exported a tab-delinated file and brought that into CatDV, no real issue. It only brought in only 8200 files but I am assuming that that has more to do with another issue.

What I want to know is there a an automated way to relink all these files. One at a time will take too long.

thank you in advance.

jack

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Filemaker into CatDV - Relink media.
on Jan 25, 2013 at 3:34:12 am

I'm not sure you can "relink" media that hasn't yet been attached. Have you tried attaching media?

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

jack Bibbo
on Jan 25, 2013 at 4:30:26 am

I can attach media, but it is one at a time and we have 23,000 clips coming over from FileMaker Pro.

Soooo not super ideal way to go about it.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Jan 25, 2013 at 4:42:19 am

That's what I suspected.
What data is in the FileMaker file? I'm wondering if there's a way to merge data from FileMaker into clips already in CatDv. Let CatDv scan the clips and then merge data. Not something I've done. Someone will jump in.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jan 25, 2013 at 5:58:33 am

If there are paths in your filemaker this is do-able with an XML export and some translation. (Technically you can do with with Excel too but it's a little more work, depending on your skills.) You probably wouldn't be posting here if you had paths in the db. ;)

If there are no paths, you may need something fancier. There are a few ways to go.

If you have a folder structure with any connection to the db records you can generate paths with a little scripting. (We've done this when clients have folders by category for instance.) A script to generate these makes life easier as well. If the file called filename.mov has the "category" listed as "sports" and you have all of those sports files in a folder at /Volumes/media_drive/sports" then you can concatenate the filename and generated path and write that to the media path field. "/Volumes/media_drive/sports/filename.mov".

Finally we have what Robb is talking about. If you have filenames in the db and then bring the media in separately you can also script the metadata re-link by reading the filename of the imported media file, searching the db for the metadata record that matches and then writing the path from the imported media to the metadata import.

These last 2 require the Worker Node and the command line interface though some resellers will do these operations for you and deliver catalogs back to you.

We do an ingest workflow for tape conversion projects where we take all of the records from the tape vault, import them into CatDV, apply a path in the imported records and then have CatDV Worker link the clip when the tape is ingested to a file. (The capture system (its name is often Joe.) or Episode drops the file out to Worker and Worker moves the files to match the path.) So you have 10,000 tape records imported and unlinked and as the files are ingested the clips come "on-line" and are linked with no human intervention. We add automation flags into the empty records on the front end import so that as the files link they automatically fire actions to create proxy, archive the hires to tape and separate the clips into catalogs. You put the tapes in and make files, the system adds your old metadata and puts the files away for you.

A lot is possible if you need to avoid weeks of mind-numbing work. That is a prime motivator. CatDV rocks but you gotta get that data in there first, right? Hope these start you on the path.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

jack Bibbo
on Jan 25, 2013 at 6:09:33 am

Glad to hear that it is possible. After reading through your last post Bryson my head started to hurt. But you did say one thing that I liked, "though some resellers will do these operations for you and deliver catalogs back to you" ; )

This will give me the artillery to research it further and ask my reseller about that.

thank you thus far. Excited about using CatDV into our program.

jack

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jan 29, 2013 at 7:05:38 pm

Update:

From talking to our Filemaker dev guys for the average user, a one-time tab-separated text export is the way to go for manual data exports.

XML out of Filemaker is possible for a savvy developer but it's beyond most folks skill set unless you already have a good background in Filemaker and XML.

We're working on some php to speak between CatDV and Filemaker Pro. I'll update this board as that becomes available. That should make things a bit easier and more interactive.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

jack Bibbo
on Jan 29, 2013 at 7:52:06 pm

Excellent, yes please keep me posted.

jack

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jan 29, 2013 at 9:03:57 pm

There are quite a few bulk operations in CatDV to avoid you having to process one file at a time, and you may be able to bulk attach media if the clip name matches the file name and all the files are in the right place. Another trick that can sometimes help if you have a list of clips in one place and a directory of files in the other and they both match exactly is to import the files as new assets in one window and then use the Copy and Paste Metadata commands to move the metadata over. But as Bryson says, a good reseller or systems integrator should be able to help you get your existing data in without too much trouble.

Return to posts index

jack Bibbo
on Jan 30, 2013 at 6:24:33 pm

Yes that is the avenue I am going with. Even with copy/paste we are talking about 23k files. I guess a good job for an intern :)

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Feb 3, 2013 at 8:55:36 am

If you arrange it right, 23000 clips is still just one copy and paste operation :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]