FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV vs. Solertec Phoenix?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Cowan
CatDV vs. Solertec Phoenix?
on Jan 15, 2013 at 7:26:20 pm

Hi folks,

We are seriously considering going with a CatDV set-up in a shop with 3 editors and 3 producers. We are in the unfortunate situation with over 50+ spinning disks waiting to explode in a faces. We've been working with our archivist to work out a proper workflow for metadata, editing, and then archiving and we've been pretty set on CatDV to be the solution for us. Today, we were told about a product from Solertec called Phoenix. Is anybody using this? The lack of information served up by Google and almost nothing here in Creative Cow has me wondering if anybody is. Any advice or knowledge about this would be great!

Thanks,

Brad Cowan

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
Re: CatDV vs. Solertec Phoenix?
on Jan 15, 2013 at 9:22:54 pm

Yeah we have come across them from time to time but the lack of info and user experience makes doing a competitive analysis nearly impossible. That said are you able to test their product in your environment? One of the most powerful things about CatDV is that you can test it in the real world without too much trouble. If you have not gotten a trial license of CatDV yet email me and we can get you a code to test.

matts@jbanda.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Schaap
on Jan 16, 2013 at 7:07:54 pm

This sounds EXACTLY like our situation about 2 years ago. Three editors, 25 external drives... We went with CatDV. We've been evolving our edit / metadata / archive / cloud workflow for about 2 years with CatDV as the asset management component. Out of curiosity what hardware are you going to use for archival?

Haven't heard of Phoenix...

Return to posts index

Brad Cowan
on Jan 16, 2013 at 9:36:07 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for responding to this!

We are currently looking into investing in the CatDV Enterprise edition w/ a Cache-A ProCache. Earlier I was reading your thread about the issues you and some others were having with workflow. It seems like it has it's fair share of hiccups, but I haven't seen a lot of alternatives. "Archiving" to a spinning disk is lot like not archiving at all to us these days. We've had a few drives go down already. Plus, we have a staff archivist who seems to like the idea of going to LTO. Overall, how has your experience been?

As far as the Phoenix goes, we got pitched on it yesterday. The parent company seems to mainly focus on video surveillance and not production. I immediately went to Google and then here to see what people are saying about it, but the lack of results was staggering and evidence enough for me to not invest in that.

Thanks again and I'd like to continue to pick your brain about workflow, etc on CatDV!

Brad

Return to posts index

Nicholas Clausen
on Jan 17, 2013 at 5:00:12 pm

Hi Brad, we almost went with Phoenix, but not being able to test-drive was a problem. Also, I was a little concerned about the company being around in 15 years. However, it's an all-in-one solution which is nice. CatDV hits you with separate client licenses and you need 3rd party plug ins, and a separate LTO, so it does add up. And its not perfect, I get crashes sometimes, and our loggers get frustrated with the verbatim logger and other problems (see my post from today). With that said, its the best solution out there right now. I recommend getting a full trial on catdv and take it for a spin. Good luck!

Nick

Return to posts index

Brad Cowan
on Jan 18, 2013 at 4:06:49 pm

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for responding. Yeah, I think we're too far along with tying our possible workflow into CatDV and what it offers to switch it up this late in the game. I have a question for you about the Verbatim Logger. Is it possible to work in the Verbatim Logger in the Web Client? Besides doing a lot of transcriptions, we also have a lot of translations done here and it would be nice if folks could access it that way. Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Nicholas Clausen
on Jan 18, 2013 at 4:32:13 pm

Talk about late in the game: we have over 16 years of footage that needs cataloging!

As far as the verbatim logger goes, we don't have the web client, so I can't answer that. I would hope that it would work.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Wautier
on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:52:22 pm

there is no verbatim logger in the web interface.

Return to posts index

Jeff Schaap
on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:13:44 pm

I agree with the evaluation that it's not perfect but is the best boat afoat. We are still trying to get our CatDV / Cache-A backup to work properly.

Brad, I'd be happy to talk to you more about it. I sent you a friend invite here on Cow.

Return to posts index

George Grippo
on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:40:10 pm

Jeff,

I'm not sure I agree with you best boat afloat comment. What has been you biggest challenge with your current implementation?

George

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:18:35 pm

Jeff there is an update to the Cache-A plugin in the works should be out in the next few weeks. That said send me a note off list of what you are looking for as it is good time to request features for this workflow.

Return to posts index

Jay Bartlett
on Feb 13, 2013 at 1:52:15 am

Hi Brad,

It sounds like you have made your purchasing decision already but I wanted to reply... SoleraTec's Phoenix VCM product is indeed geared around the ingesting, metadata assignment, searching (on that metadata), multi-tiered storage management, FCP/Avid round-trip editing, and archiving capabilities. We recently added logging capabilities to add even more searching capabilities, even for offline assets. Phoenix VCM has been in the market since 2008 and is used on studio lots, post-production houses, and large corporate video departments. We were humbled by the 2012 Storage Visions Award. Anyone can test drive Phoenix VCM by downloading the trial software by visiting the SoleraTec.com website. As SoleraTec does not charge for client seats -just for the amount of storage capacity you wish to manage- there could be a costs savings there, depending on the size of your organization. And the ability to scale and pay-as-you-grow for your video asset management needs is very helpful. And the Phoenix Firebird all-in-one solution provides a single integrated hardware/software product from one developer to deliver a disk and LTO tape archiving solution with low-res proxies held on disk for fast searching... Yes, SoleraTec also has a video surveillance product, but that actually was derived from the M&E product and is showcasing the long-term video asset management capabilities needed in both markets. If there is anything we can do to help you make an informed decision, we are happy to take the time with you... Cheers! Jay / SoleraTec

Return to posts index

George Grippo
on Feb 12, 2013 at 5:33:33 pm

Brian,

First, I’m sorry I did not see this post earlier. We would be happy to provide you some competitive information if you are still interested. Additionally, you can download Phoenix VCM from our website and try it for free for 30 days without limitation.

Also as an FYI, SoleraTec is focused on developing software for managing video and providing folks like you the tools to be able to store, search, preview and repurpose that content. That’s all we do… As you correctly point out, we do support the security world as well, as they have many similar video workflows. We would also be happy to introduce you to any number of satisfied Phoenix VCM customers, which range from small production houses to fortune 100 companies.

Lastly, if you are looking for a single vendor, turnkey, archive appliance, that provides Media Asset, Storage and Archive Management; I suggest you take a look at our Phoenix Firebird family of products.

Again, I’m sorry for the delayed response.

George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]