FORUMS: list search recent posts

Barcodes in CatDV

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Cambron
Barcodes in CatDV
on Dec 11, 2012 at 4:56:54 pm

I have been tasked with helping a company move their asset management in to CatDV . My question concerns barcode support in CatDV. What barcode languages does CatDV support? As the company I'm working for does not currently have any system in place, I want to make sure we do the right thing from the get-go. When I contacted a company about printing barcodes to manage our tape library, they wanted to know what language we wanted... I had no idea, so I'm turning to you guys

Additionally,
What barcode scanners play nicest with CatDV software? As we have no previous tech investment, a recommendation would be appreciated.

-Cheers,
Andrew

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
Re: Barcodes in CatDV
on Dec 11, 2012 at 10:41:48 pm

This is an interesting topic. It would be good to hear what others are using, typically for a tape based archive.

Currently SquareBox has dropped support for a barcode device that they previously sold. They will offer to write some code integration for barcode hardware at an additional cost which is good but I feel it would be better if there was some kind of universal solution for industry standard hardware. That's assuming there is such a thing in the barcoding business..

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Dec 11, 2012 at 10:49:29 pm

Most USB readers will run Code 39 well. I've used that with Filemaker and the fonts are available for Mac which makes labels easy.

It's generally pretty straight forward if it's not tied to an outside system. Print labels and the Barcode reader is just a "keyboard" reading them and entering text into the field you have the cursor in.

If you are working with a larger company or network you may have to conform to their standard but if not...

http://www.barcodesinc.com/free-barcode-font/

And start printing.

(Note that site link was provided for reference and I have not checked that link or font, but there are tons online for free. That was just Google result #1.)

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Dec 12, 2012 at 12:08:40 am

CatDV is designed to work with barcode scanners that generate "key presses" for the barcode being scanned and can be programmed to send specific characters at the start and end of the barcode (Cmd-T Cmd-T at the start and Return at the end, I believe).

The scanner we previously used proved to be somewhat unreliable so we discontinued it but if you find another scanner that can be programmed appropriately and gives good results please provide details here, I'm sure a few people would be interested.

Return to posts index

Andrew Cambron
on Dec 17, 2012 at 3:36:05 pm

I just reached out to Motorola to see if they have a scanner that can fill this need, I should be getting a response within 24 hours, and hopefully we'll be in business. I'll update as I get more information.

Rolf if you could confirm that those are the correct key commands, I'd like to pass that information on.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Dec 17, 2012 at 7:56:22 pm

I've seen the adesso's used and a few others. The brand isn't that important, as long as they have drivers for the OS you're using.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

candy smith
on May 7, 2013 at 2:10:58 am

You can google like "asset management-barcode" and you will get many answers. I had no experience with CatDV,so I am not sure this barcode scanner library can work with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]