FORUMS: list search recent posts

bulk method for attaching source media file to thousands of imported clips via tab delimated text file

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Plapp
bulk method for attaching source media file to thousands of imported clips via tab delimated text file
on Dec 11, 2012 at 4:53:56 pm

I was wondering if you can help us with another workflow question/issue we are hoping to avoid with CatDV.

We are trying to create 7,000+ video clips using the Export As -> Movies option.

We were able to figure out that you can import a Tab delimited text file containing clip names, bin, and in/out points, but it would be really helpful if we could also import Source Media and Media Folder. We attempted this but it did not work.

Without a way to do this, we will have to manually attach 871 source media files to their clip groupings before we can export the MP4 clip movie files and thumbnails.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: bulk method for attaching source media file to thousands of imported clips via tab delimated text file
on Dec 11, 2012 at 10:46:08 pm

Check the FAQ on the Squarebox site. It lays out how to do this import with Excel. Take your text into Excel and you should be able to get paths in that way.

We do this all the time but it sometimes takes a few tries to get the format right the first time.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: bulk method for attaching source media file to thousands of imported clips via tab delimated text file
on Dec 12, 2012 at 12:02:41 am

It should work if your tab separated text has a column called either Media File or Media Filename.

There are other ways also:

One way is to create a CatDV XML batch file, as that way it will import the media you specify at the same time.

If the clips are named the same as the file and the files are all in the same folder you should be able to bulk attach media by locating the first one and have it do the others automatically (certainly that's how Update Media Location works, which updates the path of clips that already have media attached, I'm not 100% sure offhand whether Attach Media does the same thing).

Finally, another approach (if each entry in the text file matches precisely one file) is to import all the files in one window and import your tab-separated text file containing the metadata in the other, then copy and paste the metadata from the second window onto the clips in the first. This relies on the two windows having the same clips in the same order.

Return to posts index

Chris Plapp
on Dec 14, 2012 at 4:26:26 pm

I still can't get this to work via Tab delimited.

We have also attempted to recreate the CatDV XML file format as well, but when I attempt to import the new XML file using File -> Import As -> CatDV XML, we get the following error every time:

"CatDV XML Batch File... - org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document root element is missing."

Here is a link to the file we are attempting to import:

5078_cvodcatdvxmltestcp.xml.zip

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Dec 14, 2012 at 4:56:26 pm

i was able to peel out the first 7 into a smaller file and the import got me 2 clips.

I did notice that a lot of the clips refer to the same asset. We've never brought in sub-clips, only full assets on a main import.

Rolf can you check that subclips of the same clip come in via an XML batch?

We've always done this with full clips.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Chris Plapp
on Dec 14, 2012 at 5:43:17 pm

Thanks Bryson.

I know our workflow is a little unorthodox, but we are basically attempting to reverse engineer video clips from metadata.

You see all the sub-clips in my file because we are attempting to create the MP4 sub-clips using CatDV. Each full video has at least 5 sub-clips, sometimes more.

Can we change the format of the XML file I am ingesting to trick CatDV into thinking they are all full videos and still accomplish what I am trying to do?

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Dec 14, 2012 at 11:26:29 pm

Your file contains a byte order mark. You need to remove that for the XML parser to read the file. (Do Save As and select a format that doesn't include a BOM).

Return to posts index

Chris Plapp
on Dec 17, 2012 at 3:00:55 pm

We removed the BOM and the file will now import, but it ONLY imported the 1st clip for every video.

It also changed all of the IN/OUT points and ignored what is included in the attached XML file.

For example, 10381_01 imports with the duration being the length of the source media file, 16 minutes. It ignores the 16 second start time and 3:18 end time.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Dec 17, 2012 at 8:03:38 pm

Rolf, do you actually allow for INs and OUTs to be imported? I've never done that, only brought in bulk clips as we're normally working from another MAM or a bulk list from some other database.

Chris are these clips from an NLE? Where were they created?

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Chris Plapp
on Dec 17, 2012 at 8:12:03 pm

We can correctly see the IN and OUT points in CatDV if I import a simple tab delimited text file.

I don't understand why the CatDV XML format does not work in the same manner.

The problem with this method for us is that we would have to manually attach the correct source media file for every batch of clips we want to create.

We are not creating the clips in CatDV, we are importing predetermined in and out points from a database of ours, that have been represented on the web as embedded cue points. We are trying to take those virtual segments and turn them into physical video clips.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Dec 17, 2012 at 8:44:27 pm

I think you're correct and the XML import currently imports only one clip per file. That feature is primarily designed to import assets into CatDV together with metadata (for example, when you archive media files you can choose to save a copy of the CatDV metadata as an XML file with the media, then if you lose the CatDV catalog but reimport the media from the archive you will get the metadata back as well). It isn't currently very well suited to importing subclips but that seems like an unnecessary limitation, so we'll see if we can improve that in a future version.

Return to posts index

Chris Plapp
on Dec 18, 2012 at 1:53:26 pm

That would be appreciated and a wonderful tool in our workflow that will make CatDV even more useful.

I have tried several variations of the CatDV XML file and nothing will properly import the IN/OUT points for each sub-clip.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Dec 21, 2012 at 9:06:32 pm

We use a little know feature in CatDV to link media to thousands of "text" clips via Avid ALE exports. It's based on the fact that CatDV will link to clips imported in CatDV via EDL, XML or Tab delimited and link them to "real" media already in the catalog based on TC and Tape/Reel.

For this to work you need the source media to have embedded QT Reel IDs.

John

Return to posts index

Salvador Garza
on Oct 29, 2016 at 4:14:27 am

Hi John,

I would like to know more details about this specific feature/workflow you mention.

I'm importing an ALE and it doesn't link to the media files. Attaching media to the ALE imported clips results in losing info like my scene and take information.

I've tried importing the media files first and the the ALE but they come in as different clips as opposed to adding the ALE metadata to the existing clips.

Thanks

Salvador

Salvador Garza
http://www.salvadorgarza.com

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Oct 31, 2016 at 11:02:30 pm

Hi Salvador,

Wow, your a blast from the past.

The workflow I describe is linking media to a log file, in our case it's Avid ALE logs. We bring in a camera card full of media with Tape ID and TC and then use the "Apply Log File.." in CatDV. If the media and log file have matching Tape/Reel ID and TC, the log entries will have the proper media linked in CatDV. This results in both the original camera card media and the ALE log clips being in the catalog.

From what you describe this is not what you're looking to do. But may be an alternative that would work.

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]