FORUMS: list search recent posts

A Couple Cache-A Questions.....

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Beecher
A Couple Cache-A Questions.....
on Nov 30, 2012 at 7:50:06 pm

So to start we have the new software update for our Cache-A device, and the latest CatDV software...

Just wondering why spanning multiple tape volumes is not supported yet (if they are i would love to know how)

Also, I'm just wondering why my current LTO tape only shows the last two catalogs i wrote, even when i have much more on there. Then when i go to restore everything works fine??

any help would be great!

thanks much,

-Kyle

Return to posts index

Gerald Goldman
Re: A Couple Cache-A Questions.....
on Nov 30, 2012 at 9:47:07 pm

>> Also, I'm just wondering why my current LTO tape only shows the last two catalogs i wrote, even when i have much more on there. Then when i go to restore everything works fine?? <<

If the V-Tape is erased for some reason, like switching to another LTO and then back, the VTape by default will only contain the files archived from that point onward.

If you use the web browser interface and have it show you "Current Tape" it will show you the actual contents of the LTO.

It can be confusing, so we try to finish a tape before ejecting, or if we must eject a tape before it is full, then we try to restore the tape contents to the VTape before continuing. Not always practical, but it can help.

I hope this helps.

Gerald Goldman
Director of Post Production
Grace Creek Media
http://www.gracecreek.com
http://www.sportskool.com

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
Re: A Couple Cache-A Questions.....
on Dec 3, 2012 at 2:37:39 am

Hi Kyle,

For spanning to work, CatDV would need to support Cache-A's concept of incremental tape naming (each tape in a set automatically gets the name of the initial tape followed by _2, _3, ...) and a single table of contents (TOC) for a multiple tape set.

While CatDV may implement this in their plugin at some point in the future, there are many reasons why spanning is to be avoided for good archiving practice.

As long as content will fit on a tape, you are much better off creating a new independent tape when the current one becomes full. This keeps each tape with it's own TOC as a separate entity, is easily duplicated and not dependent on keeping several tapes together for full data integrity.

Spanned tapes rely on all of the tapes in the set remaining together with only the last tape knowing what is on all the others. This means that your archive is at risk if you have serious archiving errors while making a later tape. For this reason, we recommend keeping spanned tapes to 2-3 tapes at most if possible.

Spanning may make sense if you are packaging up data for a specific purpose and want to keep the data together, and is mandatory if the data is too large to fit on a single tape. For most purposes, we suggest you just eject and start a new volume - this is why CatDV always shows in the Cache-A dialog what % of space is left.

On the topic of your catalog not showing all your tapes, I'm sure we can get that addressed by contacting our support department. Our catalogs are very robust and any tape not listed can be learned simply by inserting it.

P.S. Spanning is not supported for LTFS yet, but will be in our version v3.1 coming very soon

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
602 Park Point Drive
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]