FORUMS: list search recent posts

Viewing NEF images in CatDV 10.0

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Marstiller
Viewing NEF images in CatDV 10.0
on Nov 27, 2012 at 6:26:02 pm

I just installed CatDV 10.0. I noticed that when viewing an NEF (Nikon image)under the image tab, the image is pixelated and very low res. In CatDV 9 this is not the case. It looks very sharp. Does CatDV 10 use a different viewer and is there somewhere to set it to use the old viewer?

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: Viewing NEF images in CatDV 10.0
on Nov 27, 2012 at 9:45:24 pm

I'm glad you mentioned that because this is an issue we fixed just last week I seem to remember. It will be included in the 10.0.1 update, due at the end of this week hopefully.

(If you're curious, the issue is that there are two possible viewers for still images. CatDV has its own built in viewer for many RAW types, while QuickTime can also display some of these formats. Some work better in one, some in the other, and for NEF files we're obviously using the wrong one at the moment.)

Return to posts index

Fred Marstiller
on Nov 29, 2012 at 2:12:31 am

Thanks Rolf, that will be a great help. I'll watch for the new version.

Return to posts index

Fred Marstiller
on Dec 3, 2012 at 3:15:38 pm

I downloaded CatDV 10.0.1b and the NEF images still look the same. Very pixelated. Is this the right version or is there another version not out yet?

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Dec 4, 2012 at 10:23:12 pm

No, that's an older beta. You want CatDV 10.0.1 which is available now at
http://www.squarebox.com/download/CatDVPro10.0.1.dmg
http://www.squarebox.com/download/CatDVPro10.0.1.exe

Return to posts index

Fred Marstiller
on Dec 6, 2012 at 1:18:33 am

Thanks Rolf, that fixed it. Everything works great.

Return to posts index

Jeff Schaap
on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:35:27 pm

Hey Rolf,

Can WorkerNode run conversions on NEF and other raw formats? Also, is it able to embed metadata into photos?

Thanks,
Jeff Schaap

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jan 29, 2013 at 8:48:46 pm

You should be able to export the contents of a NEF image as a JPEG still.

By and large, CatDV doesn't support editing editing of metadata within any kind of media files (although it has lots of support for reading existing camera metadata from those files when you import them).

There are two schools of thought on this.

On the one hand it's nice to store user metadata with the file so it doesn't get detached and "lost".

On the other hand, there are so many different types of file you might be dealing with it's difficult to find a single schema that's compatible with all of them. More importantly, you may not have write access to the files - they might not belong to you, they might be on a read only volume or on shared storage and different users want to log the same files differently for their particular requirements, or the files themselves may be offline because they have been archived.

The CatDV approach is to treat the original master media as sacrosanct and "untouchable", and instead store all its metadata in a separate database that refers back to the media (and can still be searched even if the media files themselves are unavailable).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]