FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV 8.1 major issues

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Nielsen
CatDV 8.1 major issues
on May 14, 2010 at 11:02:20 pm

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get CatDV 8.1 to import clips without crashing with a java memory heap error. Here's the setup - I have all of my clips stored on an xserve raid which I'm using on my desktop with an XSAN fiber connection. I'm guessing there are 5TB or so of video and stills. My desktop is a current gen 8 core 2.93ghz mac pro with 24gigs RAM. When I try to import files into a new catalog off of the server it gets through maybe 1100 before giving me a java memory error or crashing. The last import I tried (into a new catalog) was just still images and it only got through 1140 before giving me the Java memory heap error. I tried increasing the memory size to 1024 in prefs which didn't help. For laughs I tried to increase it to 12TB (1/2 of my installed 24). I realize that the app likely can't grab more than 3 since it's 32bit, but needless to say the app wouldn't even open. The only way I could get it to open was to reinstall.

I want to love this software and in fact purchased it after trying it (unfortunately with a very small collection of clips for a test). The UI is great, but it's useless without being able to import large numbers of clips. I read the positive comments here and have hope, but so far it's unusable for me.

I've emailed their support site as well. Any ideas? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
Re: CatDV 8.1 major issues
on May 15, 2010 at 9:59:55 am

Hi Jeff
I would suggest you goto Applications>Utilities>java Prefernces> General Tab.. and drag the number 32 above the number 64 in both panels and re-boot . Catdv is a 32 bit app

hope this helps

Kevin Duggan
CatDv

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 15, 2010 at 10:24:43 pm

Agreed, the Java prefs can ruin you. I'm ready for the world to be 64bit all through.

Also, try your copy on another machine for a test. (you can even import with the unlicensed demo although you can't save, it's good for a quick test.) I've pulled over 4,000 stills into a catalog at once with no problems, (I've heard of over 10,000 item catalogs from Kevin) but know that like all apps, CatDV is bound by the quality of the data. Beware of corruption and always check another directory to make sure you're crash isn't based on your data. I've had tons of issues with bad file and clip names in FCP for instance.

Keep us posted,

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 15, 2010 at 10:48:41 pm

For reference, (and to satisfy my curiosity) I just dropped 16,000 stills into my CatDV 8.1.1 running on OSX 10.5.8 on a macbook, yeah, the little white one, with my ram allocation set to 800MB.

I got to 2112 jpg stills before I got an out of memory error but the app didn't crash, I could still save and then go back to importing. That's on the little laptop.

You can tell I'm just hanging out watching TV today, right? ;) Hope you get it sorted over there.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Nielsen
on May 16, 2010 at 12:04:32 am

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm heading out of town, but will try the suggestions when I get back and will let you know how it turns out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]