FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing Bulk Information for Random files with "/" marks

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Beecher
Editing Bulk Information for Random files with "/" marks
on Nov 26, 2012 at 6:16:20 pm

Wondering if there is a simple way to change all clip names that contain the "/" charter to an underscore?

I have been able to run a query and locate them all, it's just getting very tedious going clip-by-clip, editing, and saving the info.

the reason I'm doing this is so that when i archive the files to Cache-A nothing gets messed up.

Any help would be great!

thanks,

-Kyle

Return to posts index

Brad Starkey
Re: Editing Bulk Information for Random files with "/" marks
on Nov 26, 2012 at 6:32:48 pm

One way:

Select all the clips that you want to edit and select - Tools>Search and Replace.

Then you can select the field "Name"
Search "/"
Replace "_"

If you are actually changing the file name you may want to test a few first before you do the whole batch. It shouldn't be a problem though.

Return to posts index

Kyle Beecher
on Nov 26, 2012 at 7:46:21 pm

Thanks Brad! Worked like a charm!

Had to search for ":" instead though as that is how CatDV recognized the slash symbol.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Nov 26, 2012 at 9:51:10 pm

Ah yes, / and : are handled specially on the Mac.

Mac OS X uses the same / separator between directory names as Unix and Linux, whereas Mac OS 9 Classic used a colon. I guess to support old Classic filenames which could include a / (for example a date) Mac OS automatically converts a slash in the name to a : (so it's stored as a colon but displayed as a slash by the Finder).

CatDV doesn't do that sort of weird munging and so displays file names as they're stored.

Return to posts index

Fred Marstiller
on Nov 27, 2012 at 6:52:06 pm

You can search and bring all the files up in a window to be edited. All clips in the window will now have the "/" to be changed and the window will permit you to edit the clips. Highlight (select) all clips and from the Tools menu choose "Search and Replace". Select the field that needs to be edited, put / in the "Search" field and _ in the "Replace With" field. Use "Selection only" and it will replace all the / with _

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]