FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV on Virtual Linux Server?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Goddard
CatDV on Virtual Linux Server?
on Nov 26, 2012 at 2:10:25 pm

Some IT specific questions relating to CatDV Server...

1. Can CatDV Enterprise Server run on a virtual Linux server? If so, is there a recommended 'flavour' of Linux?

2. If we put CatDV Enterprise Server in our corporate DMZ would there be any issues with performance if the actual media was on storage connected to a separate VLAN several hops away on our internal LAN? (mostly low res h264 proxy video but also SD Prores)

3. What ports/services need to made available for a CatDV client in a remote location to be able to connect to and work with the CatDV Enterprise Server?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV on Virtual Linux Server?
on Nov 26, 2012 at 4:09:54 pm

I can speak to #2. I've not seen any issues, as long as the network is fast enough. However, there are also some things you can do to speed up viewing media if the hires loads slowly. (Set your system to force proxy use, for instance.)

As to #3, I'm also curious, as we're seeing some issues setting up port forwarding. DMZ's work fine but as we lock the system down we can't always start the server. This may also be a version issue at this particular location so I'm trying an update this am.

We open 1099 and 3306 by default and that's what Support recommends.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Sebastien Bertrand
on Nov 26, 2012 at 5:28:04 pm

Hello Scott,

The enterprise server does run on linux, as long as you have java and mysql installed. However, the CatDV worker, responsible for all the automations does not run on linux, so you will need Windows or OSX to run the worker.

Sebastien Bertrand
Systems Integrator, Ordigraphe Inc.
Toronto, Canada
http://www.ordigraphe.com

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on Nov 27, 2012 at 10:51:29 am

Thanks for this. Is it advisable to run the worker on the server machine or can it run on another network attached machine?

For example you may run the server on the a mac mini but want the worker to be on a Mac Pro to utilize the faster processing. Is there any issue in doing this?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Nov 27, 2012 at 6:34:09 pm

Generally I like to put the Worker as close to "the work" as I can. Meaning, if I'm sending to an archive system, I'll put the Worker on that system and let it communicate with the server over the LAN.

As another example, the CatDV server might not be attached to the SAN via fibre but a Worker that's moving files would benefit greatly by being on a fibre attached machine.

It's fine to separate them and in some cases, even necessary, as in a Linux Server deployment.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]