Clear a field

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henrik Helms
Clear a field
on Nov 14, 2012 at 8:57:16 am

Hi!
Here is what I would like to be done:
We have a user field where people write their email if they want to order a clip. Then the worker is copying the entry to a catalog named "Ordered clips" and are sending an email saying which clip is ordered and by whom.

I would like that the email entry in the original catalog is then cleared and are only shown in the "Ordered clips" catalog.

Any way of doing this?

Greetings
Henrik Helms
dBA MEDIA

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Clear a field
on Nov 14, 2012 at 5:30:36 pm

Worker Node can handle this using variables. You may need some command line work but this is completely do-able.

I can't really lay this out on a forum since you can potentially over-write data in any automation but I will say that duplicating clips can cause problems.

May I offer the idea that you simply record a list of the emails a clip was sent to in an additional field? That seems better since having an extra copy of a clip can result in people adding metadata to the wrong clip record. Basic workflow -

Email is entered into field A to denote that a clip should be delivered.

Workflow runs and the email is sent, the clip is tagged to be sent to them (however you want to do that, maybe copy the email address into a second field (B) that you use to denote that a clip needs to be sent?) The email address is also appended to the list of past recipients (field C).

When the person (or script) processes the clip or sends it, they or it, clears field B and enters the action into a log (Field D).

C and D keep the log of what happened and A and B fire the steps of the script.

The same workflow can be applied to the "copy clips" workflow but you may need to use the command line to send the metadata between clips.

Hit up your integrator or the Worker Node manual for more on the CLI but this is very possible.

The take-away for folks who may be newer to scripting is that notice that we began talking about 2 fields in 2 separate clip records and ended up with 4 fields so that we can track status and history of a single clip. This is common in automation but can add to the complexity of your system. Most of the time these additional fields are hidden from most users (sometimes all users) but they are critical and a far better way to track history than creating multiple copies of clips and moving them around.

This is why there is such a jump in complexity (and price) when you get into automating video systems.

Hope this helps,

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Henrik Helms
Re: Clear a field
on Nov 15, 2012 at 7:18:55 am

Thank you Bryson!
As always a great inspiration - this has given me an idea on how to do it!

Greetings
Henrik Helms
dBA MEDIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]