FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV vs. Cantemo

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Handy
CatDV vs. Cantemo
on Nov 6, 2012 at 7:26:40 pm

Has anyone evaluated or used Cantemo? Going over the features, it seems to fall right in line with CatDV's product line. Anything I should know?

HandyGeek

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV vs. Cantemo
on Nov 7, 2012 at 5:00:32 pm

Full Disclosure: NSA (My company, integrates both CatDV and Cantemo systems.)

They are actually fairly different in approach.

For instance:

CatDV has a client app, Cantemo is all done from a browser interface interacting with a single server.

CatDV uses separate apps for Client, Server and Worker/Automation and these can span over multiple machines or live on one.

CatDV runs on Mac OSX, Linux or Windows for Server and OSX & Windows for automation & client.

Cantemo runs on all OS's for clients (obviously) and Linux for Server.

Cantemo, in my opinion, has a lot more in common with more traditional DAM systems whereas CatDV is more of a hybrid and focuses more on production asset management. There are benefits to both, depending on the environment and use.

We're actually evaluating several sites where they will likely use both due to the fact that they cover such a wide area of use between the two systems. And with the pricing, you can buy "one of each" so to speak and still be far under the price of a traditional "Big-Iron" DAM.

That said, Cantemo is priced a bit above the typical CatDV base deployment.

As always, this is a bit more than can be discussed on a forum. DAM systems are so specific to the environment. I'd contact the US Reps and get a demo of both products and you'll have a better feel for the two as they relate to your particular system. I personally feel like Cantemo is aimed more at the Final Cut Server user rather than the CatDV user as far as use case. The philosophies & methodologies are very different.

Speaking of... is there a generic DAM board on the Cow? Seems like that might be a lively forum.

Hope this helps you on your way.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on May 27, 2013 at 10:09:56 am

Digging up an old thread..

Have you have a chance to use MediaBox by Cantemo? It is apparently a cheaper version of their Portal system although I have not looked into the pricing. Do you feel this could compete with CatDV for budget conscious clients?

Trying to get a full demo shortly to look under the hood..

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited
http://www.neoverite.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Handy
on May 27, 2013 at 10:49:30 am

We are about to begin testing now, but we are evaluating Cantemo Portal. Our team is very much looking forward to running this system through its paces. We are also transitioning to Adobe Creative Cloud and I'm interested to see how Cantemo will work with Adobe's tools.

Our development team is also in the midst of creating a new learning management system with media asset management functions. They are hopeful that the back end of Cantemo, Vidispine, will provide a platform on which to build that new LMS. If it works as the API documentation explains, the developers should be pleased.

-HandyGeek

Return to posts index

Jeff Handy
on May 27, 2013 at 11:01:27 am

That said, if I were running a smaller shop, I would be looking seriously at Axle - very slick, and highly affordable! They sell a five user license for under $1500 US.

http://www.axlevideo.com

HandyGeek

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on May 27, 2013 at 12:55:34 pm

Axel looks good. Very simple collaborative tool. Lots of competition in this market now.

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on May 27, 2013 at 12:33:31 pm

Would love to hear your thoughts on the portal trial. I think everyone is in a transitional period to Adobe!

Scott Goddard

Neo Verite Limited

Return to posts index

Jeff Handy
on May 30, 2013 at 1:54:58 am

We have been working with our vendor over the past couple of days. As of today, we have our evaluation Cantemo server online. We still have some loose ends to tie up: linking it to a SAN share via SMB (because we can't get a StorNext license authorized), getting some metadata sets made, etc. So I expect to know a lot more by Friday when we start really digging in.

HandyGeek

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 30, 2013 at 2:06:17 am

Cool, keep us posted as to what you find. They are very different platforms in almost every way.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Apr 4, 2014 at 3:13:04 pm

Once again digging up an old thread.... how did this shake out?

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Jeff Handy
on May 15, 2014 at 2:51:35 pm

We actually ended up with Axle. The value proposition was quite high, especially after they announced an upgrade available for use with Adobe Anywhere. That was the final selling point for us. Although we aren't quite ready for that upgrade, I could easily see it happen within the next couple of years.

That said, Axle is not nearly as comprehensive as a tool set. Both Cantemo and CatDV have a big lead in that department. We can't do rough cuts with Axle as yet. That's kind of a big deal, but wasn't a deal breaker for us. For now, we're thinking of a hybrid Axle/Prelude use for this system. Axle's built-in logging tools are helpful enough for 85% of our work, though we aren't an average shop.

I don't care for the way Axle handles user accounts. The system doesn't use concurrent connections for licensing. We have over 60 users, but only need about 10 or so concurrent connections. The only way we could get it working right was to have only 10 users share group accounts. I think this is one of the biggest differences in these system - user and group controls.

The Axle system took about nine weeks to index and generate proxies for about 90TB of media. It would have been much faster if we'd had our Episode Cluster upgraded to Engine during that time. Now that we have Engine added to the mix, the system is doing much better. If I were consulting anyone on Axle, I would strongly urge my client to run Episode Engine and run it on a separate computer. Running Episode on the same system is a major slow down for the whole process.

HTH!

HandyGeek

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 15, 2014 at 4:17:20 pm

Thanks for the update, and please keep us posted as to how it goes over time.

I'm curious about Cantemo as well, was it strictly price that swayed you to Axle?

As to the licensing, you can't really gripe about at the price (though you know we all will). CatDV and Axle are so far under the competition that I really don't consider that a limitation. 60 users on any DAM is a significant investment.

Speaking of investments. Are you fairly confident that you'll be rolling out Adobe Anywhere? And will that likely be in-house or over a WAN?

Knowing that it's looking to be a $50k+ solution, once you have hardware and software integrated for let's say 4 users, I'm curious as to how many people will really dig in and use it below the large broadcaster level. (For those of you curious, check the AA hardware requirement and network needs. It doesn't exactly run on a Mac Mini over wifi.) We've looked at it seriously and think that the average deployment of that product will be pushing $100k for a decent sized shop.

I love the idea and the product but I think people are really unclear about the infrastructure needed at the current time.

That all said, congrats on deploying a DAM and getting into the mix and thank you for posting your results.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Jun 10, 2015 at 1:54:41 am

Bringing this thread back to life. Our company is just starting to look into MAM's and I have been looking at Cantemo Portal, and stumbled onto this thread. We are based in Australia and UK but would only need 5 editors to have access to material at any 1 time. Scaling in the future is something we want to have in mind. Cantemo Portal 2.0 looks to have some excellent integration with Premiere.

How have you been finding axle. What has been its weaknesses and strengths across the period you've been using it? Has there been adequate development over the year to the software?

Any information will be most useful to myself and others i'm sure.

Regards
Craig

Mac Pro 2.4Ghz 8 core, 24GB RAM, GTX 670

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jun 10, 2015 at 6:00:01 pm

Jeff, can you share some experiences with Axle? I'd love to hear more as well.

Craig, also check out the webinar on the Squarebox page about the Adobe Premiere Panel which covers CatDV's Adobe workflows as well.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Handy
on Jun 11, 2015 at 12:51:37 am
Last Edited By Jeff Handy on Jun 11, 2015 at 12:54:08 am

I'd be happy to share a bit about our experience with Axle. We have had it in service for just over a year and it's been a rocky road. I would like to say it's been great, but it's been only decent. I think you really do get what you pay for and Axle is not at the top end of the price range by any stretch. That said, what it does, it does pretty well. It really is insanely simple, like they say.

Although Sam and the team do respond quickly to emails, resolutions can take time. I find they often need reminders that I'm waiting for help. It's a fairly small group, but they have recently added staff and had a much bigger presence at NAB and will also be attending InfoConn in Orlando next week. I think that's great that they are working on getting the word out. It's a good product in a very low price range and I think it works great in small workgroups.

Unfortunately, we have grown past that and the product doesn't scale well for our use at Bisk Education. At least not yet. I'm giving them some breathing room and even looking to upgrade our licenses to allow for Adobe Anywhere integration. If we do this, we'll be doubling down on Axle. It's a risk on my part, but I really do believe in the talent of Sam's team. They really do care, and I'm confident in the new build they have coming for 2015. The new platform will soon be ported to Linux. They will also be rolling out their RESTful API. When they can get to that point, I think we'll be able to settle in for a long relationship.

I'll continue with more granular detail on my experience if you guys want to get in the weeds.

HandyGeek

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jun 11, 2015 at 6:34:47 pm

Jeff, thank you.

Sam is pretty great and it's cool to hear you temper your experience taking into account the budget/price of the software.

Support is expensive for DAM systems but as you note, critically important. I think that comparing Axle, CatDV and Cantemo is challenging since they have "radically" different pricing as well and how much support is "thrown in" is a point of contention when just buying the software.

Note that CatDV pricing varies widely depending on the scale and the scope of the system and the professional services. Cantemo does as well, but we find that the initial "buy in" on a CatDV system can be smaller. This is not always a good thing, but you can get started with CatDV at a much smaller level and then scale as needed.

For instance, many companies purchase CatDV and get through the initial stages and then engage in a more involved deployment once they have a better idea of what they want to do in a larger DAM sense.

We find that many other DAM's require a much larger commitment of time and resources up front, so there's no "toe dipping" period. Again, I personally wish everyone would/could engage in a large deployment and consulting contract but we know that that is not appropriate for all clients so take that into account.

I often to tell people that you can buy a small CatDV (or Axle) system and not even use it and no one would get fired. That would not fly on a larger $100k+ DAM. When/if you need/want more help, there are resources available from your reseller, Squarebox or NSA.

bryson

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Jun 15, 2015 at 4:37:53 am

Hi Jeff,

I am most interested in hearing the details of how its been going. As this is our first step into the MAM space, I am very much in need of real peoples experiences with the software, and the limitations they have experienced, as well as the strengths they have found.

So how does it go with axle on that level? What have you found are its strengths and weaknesses, and what is the general workflow that you use it within?

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Jun 16, 2015 at 7:24:37 am

Are you using prelude to rename clips on ingest onto your NAS or other media storage system. Then you have axle see the new footage, and you add metadata there?

How do you bring footage into say premiere after doing an axle search and finding a couple of clips you want to use in your edit?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]