FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV 'Build Proxy Movies' does not support or render clips with 'Apple DV/DVCPRO' Codec?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Khashyar Darvich
CatDV 'Build Proxy Movies' does not support or render clips with 'Apple DV/DVCPRO' Codec?
on Oct 12, 2012 at 10:03:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a copy of CatDV Pro, and I can already see how much faster this will make editing a large documentary with hundreds of hours of footage.

I love the features, however, I am having problems creating proxies for some of the DV video files that we have.

I can successfully render and create proxies for DV files with a "DV/DVCPRO - NTSC" codec (that was created in either FCP or MPEGStreamclip).

However, CatDV is not creating proxies for DV files that were created with Clipwrap and that have an "Apple DV/DVCPRO - NTSC" codec. (with "Apple" in the beginning of the codec name).

When I try to build the Clipwrap-created DV files through the "Build Proxy Movies" option.... the Build Proxy function begins to initialize, and then I receive an error:

The "Build Preview" window says "xxxx.mov failed (Movie offline or not supported).

Again, the DV clips that fail to proxy render in CatDV are:

1) clips that were 1080i .m2ts files that were converted to DV Codec by Clipwrap

2) the clips import successfully into CatDV, as well as play fine in the CatDV play window.

3) play fine in Quicktime

4) In both Cinema Tools and in the CatDV Tech window, the codec of these clips are reported as being: "Apple DV/DVCPRO - NTSC"

And again, the DV clips that DO successfully built proxies in CatDV were converted to SD using MPEGStreamClip, or digitized in FCP, and have a codec: "DV/DVCPRO - NTSC" (without "Apple" at the beginning of the codec name).

Thank you for your help in trying to understand how to resolve this issue.

Khashyar

Producer-Director
Wakan Films
Hollywood, CA
http://www.wakan.com

Return to posts index

Khashyar Darvich
Re: CatDV 'Build Proxy Movies' does not support or render clips with 'Apple DV/DVCPRO' Codec?
on Oct 12, 2012 at 10:27:09 pm

Hi Everyone...

Just to update you...

I took the same Clipwrap created DV video file (that had an "Apple DV/DVCPRO - NTSC" codec), opened it in MPEGStreamclip, and then did a conversion to the same "Apple DV/DVCPRO - NTSC" codec, imported that new clip into CatDV, and I was able to successfully create a proxy.

The odd thing is that even though the codec option in MPEGStreamclip is "Apple DV/DVCPRO - NTSC", the codec displays itself in CatDV as "DV/DVCPRO - NTSC" (without the "Apple" as a prefix in the codec name).

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to successfully create proxies in CatDV of those original clipwrap created "Apple DV/DVCPRO - NTSC" clips?

Thank you for your ideas and help.

Khashyar

Producer-Director
Wakan Films
Hollywood, CA

Return to posts index

Khashyar Darvich
Re: CatDV 'Build Proxy Movies' does not support or render clips with 'Apple DV/DVCPRO' Codec?
on Oct 12, 2012 at 10:51:41 pm

Hello Again,

I opened the same Clipwrap-created clip in Quicktime, and I was able to successfully export and convert the clip into another codec...

So, the Clipwrap "Apple DV/DVCPRO - NTSC" codec clip successfully opens in Quicktime Pro 7.7, as well as successfully converts through Quicktime.

Then, the question is... why doesn't CatDV support that particular DV codec if Quicktime and FCP do?

I appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Khashyar

Producer-Director
Wakan Films
Hollywood, CA

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Oct 20, 2012 at 10:05:38 pm

Hi Khashyar, your problem doesn't sound familiar, and I'm a bit surprised by it becaue DV/DVCPRO is one of the basic codecs that QuickTime should have no problems at all with. Do you have a small example file that you're having problems with that you can mail to support@squarebox.com for us to investigate?

Return to posts index

Khashyar Darvich
on Oct 23, 2012 at 4:43:21 am

Thank you for your reply, Rolf...

On my CatDV installation, it CAN create proxies with "DV/DVCPRO," but not with "Apple DV/DVCPRO"...

Yes, I would be happy to send you a sample of a file...

Thanks for your help.

Khashyar

Producer-Director
Wakan Films
Hollywood, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]