FORUMS: list search recent posts

Installing and using CatDV on a PowerPC Mac

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Khashyar Darvich
Installing and using CatDV on a PowerPC Mac
on Oct 8, 2012 at 4:38:25 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a PowerPC G5 Quad Mac with OS 10.5 installed, and wondered whether CatDV v.10 would install and work.

Does anyone regularly use CatDV on their PowerPC Mac without issues?

Thank you for your thoughts and feedback about this.

I did read on the squarebox website that although CatDV v9 is not officially supported for PowerPC Macs, that they do offer a way for them to work:

Question:

Can I use CatDV 9 on a PowerPC Macintosh?

Answer:

Officially the answer is no, CatDV 9 requires an Intel Macintosh, because of changes Apple made in removing PPC support from all their development tools. However, there is a workaround which means you may be able to run CatDV 9 on some PowerPC machines running Mac OS X 10.5 by manually copying over some files from an old application bundle.

To do this, download both the latest version of CatDV or CatDV Pro, and also the older version CatDV Pro 9.0.2. In each case, right click on the application bundle in the Finder and choose Show Package Contents. Copy the following files from 9.0.2 to replace the same files in the current version:

Contents/MacOS/CatDV
Contents/Resources/Java/libCatDV.jnilib
Contents/Resources/Java/libMacUtil.jnilib
Contents/Resources/Java/libQTLibjnilib
The modified latest version should then run on PowerPC Macs, but please be aware that this workaround is not officially supported or guaranteed to continue to work with all future updates.

Producer-Director
Wakan Films
Hollywood, CA
http://www.wakan.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Installing and using CatDV on a PowerPC Mac
on Oct 9, 2012 at 3:15:33 am

I have clients who do this for loggers so they can use their old macs 'til they die. (The macs, not the loggers.)

It works, but please don't judge the program based on this config. Performance may be compromised.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Khashyar Darvich
on Oct 9, 2012 at 5:45:01 am

Thank you, Bryson.

Yes, hopefully neither dies for a long while :)

That's exactly the case with my G5 Quad... I thought it would be perfect to use for logging, since I have a MacBook Pro for editing.

Do you think that with this configuration, that performance will be so slow as to not be practical?

Or, do you think that the specs of a Mac G5 Quad is fast enough for normal logging with CatDV?

Also, do you happen to know the answer to my other Catdv question in this forum regarding whether you can install Catdv on a laptop and desktop owned by the same licensee?

Thank you again.

Khashyar

Producer-Director
Wakan Films
Hollywood, CA

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Oct 9, 2012 at 6:11:29 pm

Sorry to lag, clients first, of course.

It's fine for playing proxy files in my experience.

Obviously PowerPC won't play certain compressed formats well, and indeed some codecs don't exist for non-Intel machines so that's what that was based on.

In the end, and the good thing about CatDV, you can just try it and see. But proxy can easily be played on most Macs from this century.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Khashyar Darvich
on Oct 9, 2012 at 6:23:28 pm

Thank you very much, Bryson.

Yes, of course work and clients come first :)

Also, I wanted to compliment you on the great job you did on the Youtube CatDV talk that you gave.

Khashyar

Producer-Director
Wakan Films
Hollywood, CA

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Oct 20, 2012 at 9:46:37 pm

Just to re-iterate what Bryson says - if you're at all unsure about whether CatDV will work on a particular configuration or with particular files, just drop us a line to request an evaluation license. This will be a fully functional but time-limited version of the full application, so you can always test out your workflow on your hardware and with your media files before committing to making a purchase.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]