FORUMS: list search recent posts

Worker Node // Different Groups // Different Fieldsettings

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonid Nekrasov
Worker Node // Different Groups // Different Fieldsettings
on Aug 31, 2012 at 1:20:42 pm

Hello,

I have two Groups in my Database: Group1 and Group2. Each Group has its Catalogs, Users and own Field Definition Set.

I have Worker Node 4.0.5 running, in which setup the Group1 is defined as a default Group. Also the Field Set Group1 is loaded.

No I would like the Worker Node to do some Server Querys using the Catalogs and of course the USER Fields, that I defined for the the Group2.

I don't see how :) How can I address the USER Fields I have defined for the Group2?

Is there a Workaround for this case?
Can I use CLI for that? How would I define in CLI which Group the process should address?
Can I merge the Field Definitions Sets in one?

Thank you and best Regards
Leo

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Worker Node // Different Groups // Different Fieldsettings
on Aug 31, 2012 at 4:02:42 pm

This brings up a good design point.

I'm not sure what the official strategy is but our company establishes documentation for a deployment so that all fields are unique across an enterprise.

For instance, if you wanted a field for "project name" and it was User21 and some other department wanted a field called Facility Zip Code and they wanted it to be User 21, we don't allow that. We set up our fieldsets so that all data maps across all groups.

This means that our deployments have far higher field counts but there is never confusion moving data between groups, departments, shows, or facilities. User21 is project name. You can make another field, but there is no "other" 21.

The real reason for this is that once you leave the Worker Node which is db aware and move into other scripting mechanisms, the field ID never has a name, only a number. XML translations would be a nightmare if you had to read field labels, for instance and parse by that instead of USER ID.

This is only how NSA/HidefCowboy has done it. If there are other strategies, please weigh in. But these days we are integrating so many separate systems that this convention is critical.

bryson

bryson "at" northshoreautomation.com

northshoreautomation.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Sep 4, 2012 at 10:15:12 pm

Probably the easiest way to do this is to standardise your user fields across all your production groups. If some fields are used in one group and some in another simply don't show them when customing your details panel and view layouts if they're not relevant.

Having said that, if a user field has different meanings in different production groups, the worker doesn't care. If you set User 21 to "Done" in the worker it doesn't matter that in Group 1 that field's label is "Transcode Status" and in Group 2 it's called "Customer Number". The fact that the worker displays helpful labels is only a convenience when writing the scripts.

If the two groups have very different user field mappings then it may be easier not to enter any field set name at all in the worker and simply refer to it as "User 21". You will have to consult your mapping spreadsheet when first developing your worker script, but writing the worker script is something you hopefully only have to do once (and is done by the administrator, rather than day to day users) and won't affect the regular operation of the script.

Return to posts index

Leonid Nekrasov
on Sep 6, 2012 at 7:03:10 am

Thank you guys. This are very useful recommendations.

@Rolf: Maybe you should think about some kind of "Zen of CatDV". 10 or 20 guiding principles that could be found in the manual. That would make it easier for every beginner to make a good setup and to use your product in a proper way. Advanced users would consult professionals anyway.

Regards
Leo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]