FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV Web Client? Anyone see it in action at NAB?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allan White
CatDV Web Client? Anyone see it in action at NAB?
on Apr 16, 2010 at 9:56:46 pm

I'm excited about the possibilities of the newly announced Web Client, which could put our video database in front of producers and reviewers a lot more easily. Did anyone see it in action at NAB? Bryson, lookin' at your YouTube channel...

CatDV Web client image

- Allan White, Video Producer, Luis Palau Assoc.

Quad 3Ghz Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, X1900 GPU, XSAN, CatDV Server

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV Web Client? Anyone see it in action at NAB?
on Apr 19, 2010 at 10:13:27 pm

Hey man,

It's up and running. I'll buzz you offline and give you a look at it.

The realities of the product are this - (Matt, can you check my info here, I know it changes a lot)

$5,000 for 5 concurrent seats (5 connections at a time)

$200 per user after that, again based on simultaneous connections

You still need custom integration to manage the exposed fields. User customization is planned in the near future.

Proxy is protected by the server meaning that proxy can live on another web server but it's passed through the web client so folks can't just go download your proxy at will.

It's mainly aimed at large shops who need interactive access to clips for approvals and other uses. Compared to the "big iron" systems it replaces, or custom web dev, it's cheap, but I know it may not seem that way for a small shop.

The only other way to deal with this is to have a web based system but then you don't get to manage your metadata from CatDV in house. You can make your own web CMS, but then you have to find some way to bring that data back in and out of catdv. (hard and $$$) One point of management is where the web client is cool. If you update CatDV in house, the web client obviously changes, (html publisher can do that) BUT.. when someone from out of house can add or change metadata, that's when things get nice.

If you have a need for worldwide access to your media and metadata, there's nothing like this. But I find that for a lot of folks, the HTML Publisher will serve clips for review etc. I'm preparing some new demos of that app as well so keep an eye out for them.

Also, the web client is constantly being updated to be a more user friendly integration but remember, you'll always need a fast pipe to serve those proxies, one way or another.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]