FORUMS: list search recent posts

Parse Reel Name or Field Dominance to Clips/FCP

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Engels
Parse Reel Name or Field Dominance to Clips/FCP
on Jul 11, 2012 at 9:39:39 am

Hello,

we set up a workflow, where we transcode with Apple Compressor 4 pretty much everything to ProRes before editing. A huge problem is, that FCP 7 takes reel names in the high res files from these files directly and only in rare occasions from CatDV.

Since I don't want to bother my editors correcting reel names based on what people already set up within CatDV I found a way with ffmbc 7 rc7 to write reel name into the file without reencoding. But that process drops the field dominance when it's progressive. I am already talking to Baptiste the developer of ffmbc, but I don't expect a change within next couple of weeks and I need this problem fixed due to consolidation of our projects.

I thought of using a xml, setting the field dominance correctly with a bash script and import that into FCP. Unfortunately Worker Node does not export a FCP-conform XML in which I would simply add field dominance with bash and/or xsl, so I would have to do it myself, which I think I am not capable of.

Does anybody know of a CLI product which I could use to manipulate basically an already transcoded file? I looked into QTChange by Videotoolshed (http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/42/qtchange/) but that has no CLI interface. I even found the place in the Qucktime Atoms, but that is a little too sophisticated and I bet somebody somewhere did I what I am looking for. Hopefully. I would love to use only one tool to add Reel Name and Field Dominance. Kinda desperate here...

Thanks for reading,

Julian

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Parse Reel Name or Field Dominance to Clips/FCP
on Jul 11, 2012 at 3:49:29 pm

I've not run into that, but in some good news, Episode now includes their extensive command line interface with the app as of 6.2.

I'd look into that as it adds a ton of features that you can run from the CLI.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Julian Engels
on Jul 11, 2012 at 5:58:34 pm

Hi Bryson,

thanks for that hint, was hoping for a smaller invest, but if this is helping with my problem I'd go for it. I will check it out.

Greets,

Julian

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jul 11, 2012 at 10:24:51 pm

Consider setting the correct "reel" name in CatDV and export the files as Ref movies for Compressor. Compressor will then create files with the proper reel names. Be sure to check the Timecode track in additional tracks in the CatyDV export menu or the reel in the catalog won't export to the ref movie.

We do this all the time. Nothing beats getting the metadata right from the start.

John Heagy

Return to posts index

Julian Engels
on Jul 12, 2012 at 8:47:50 am

Hi John,

thanks for pointing that out. We actually have a step in our workflow, where we use Reference Movies before passing that to Compressor. Rolf set that up initially, so I wasn't really aware of the details. Anyway, "Add Timecode Track" is set, still no Reel Name within the reference or the transcoded file. Is that a bug or are there other options I have to consider? (Worker Node 5.0b5.1035) I tried to force Reel Name with ${TP} and and that works! Thank you so very much, for helping me out.

Agreed on your last statement!

Thanks,

Julian

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jul 12, 2012 at 7:30:05 pm

We've had success with the reel/TC coming out of CatDV. You listed Worker... try doing it with the Client as that's what we do and it works for us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]