FORUMS: list search recent posts

Options whether to display query results in a new window or recycle the current window

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marvin Holdman
Options whether to display query results in a new window or recycle the current window
on Jun 25, 2012 at 7:35:47 pm

Anyone have an idea of how to toggle this? We've looked in the "preferences" a couple of times but haven't come up with it. Perhaps it is worded different?

We have CatDV 8.1/Enterprise Server.

Thanks.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Options whether to display query results in a new window or recycle the current window
on Jun 25, 2012 at 8:21:18 pm

Do you have the advanced menus turned on?

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Lily Duckler
Re: Options whether to display query results in a new window or recycle the current window
on Jun 25, 2012 at 10:00:00 pm

Since my choice of recycle/new window usually depends on the kind of query I'm running, I use the "Advanced View" Query window to choose. I honestly haven't looked into controlling this group-wide via preferences, so this may all be review for you.

In the normal Query window view, you can toggle the "Open in new window" checkbox on the bottom right-hand corner. Having the box checked will open the query result in a new window (editable). Having the box unchecked will display the results in "Read Only" mode in your current window. However, if you look closely, you'll notice that your catalog is still the original open catalog (see the window name at the top of the window). For example, if you try to use automatic groupings on your search results, you will be frustrated because you will instead be grouping the original window contents/catalog.

To get the most options, check Advanced (lower left) to enter the Advanced Query window. This is often used for making more complex boolean searches (this and this but not that ending with xyz). In the bottom right-hand corner of the window, you'll see a selection area called:

"Query Results: [CHECKBOX] Open for Editing [DROPDOWN]"

If you want to use automatic groupings to sort your query results, I recommend checking open for editing. Otherwise, don't.

The drop-down contains all of your search/window options:
*Recycle current window
*Open new query results window
*Recycle query results window
*Append to query results window
*Append to current catalog

Just choose the one that works for you and your current search. Searches made within the same session will keep these preferences (unless you reset). As far as I've looked into it. preferences do not carry over to the rest of the group on the server, and do not carry into your next session.

If anyone has found a way to apply search preferences (re: opening in a new window or not), I'd love to hear about it, too!

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jul 2, 2012 at 9:56:48 pm

Ok, I take it you mean you want to know how to save the open in new window or not settings to your server settings for the production group?

The option is saved as part of your preferences, but as it's an item which isn't explicitly set in the preferences dialog changing the value and saving it as part of the server settings is a bit more complicated.

If you're an administrator and want to edit the production group setings you'd normally right click on the production group in the server tree and choose Edit Settings (or edit the production group in the Groups & Roles section of the Server Admin panel). What this does is load the latest settings from the server, open the preferences dialog, then save the settings back to the server. This doesn't give you a chance to go into the advanced query dialog and have it remember what you selected in the drop down.

What you therefore need to do is the following:
  • Right click on the production group in the server tree and Load Group Settings
  • Bring up the query dialog and perform a dummy query, choosing the query results display setting you want
  • Right click on the group again and choose Save Group Settings

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]