FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cat DV Player and Database issues

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vance Piccin
Cat DV Player and Database issues
on Jun 11, 2012 at 3:40:31 pm

I am playing with CatDV in an attempt to learn a bit more of the Digital Asset Management concept. I have made several catalogs, about 6 now. Yesterday I started another catalog, dropping a few thousand files into it. After a short interval the clips were all neatly cataloged.

However that is when the issues started. Previously I was able to double click on any on-line clip and have it play in the interface. Now, however, I get only the following error message:

Failed to show media (Failed to open movie using QT or JMF)

The clip is there, I can do a command L and play it in quicktime without problems.

Then, before I left last night I sent CatDV off to make proxies of all the new media. This morning, I still can't play the clips. I opened an older catalog, and find that the proxies are now cross linked to those clips. Double clicking on a clip from a completely different client opens the poxy from last night.

So my usual solutions to problems, deleting pllist files and uninstalling and re-installing are not of any use. I did not find a preferences file, and a delete and reinstall does not change the behavior.

Any ideas?

-Vance Piccin

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Cat DV Player and Database issues
on Jun 11, 2012 at 4:22:40 pm

where are the files stored? Locally or on the network?

what format are the proxies?

and are you making tape-based or path-based proxies (in the proxy/thumbnail settings)

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Vance Piccin
on Jun 11, 2012 at 4:53:09 pm

I am using the standard version of CatDV on a single machine. All the files are local to that machine. The proxies are M-Jpeg, which I believe is the default for the program. In the Proxies & Thumbnails preferences Based on tape & timecode and Based on path are both checked. Prefer path is not.

If it is important this system is on a Lion (10.7.4) Mac.

Return to posts index

Vance Piccin
on Jun 11, 2012 at 5:05:47 pm

Oh but wait...

I reset the preferences to factory default, and low and behold my media viewer is back. The default is path based and prefer path. I deleted the proxy media from last nights run, so am rebuilding that now.

Thanks Robb, that seems to be the hint that put me back on track.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Jun 11, 2012 at 5:39:23 pm

path is what you want. It makes a lot more sense as you work with it.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]