FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV - Bru Server - LTO workflow

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Barton-Humphreys
on Jun 7, 2012 at 10:18:02 am

Hi folks

We are dealing with a lot of DVCPro HD footage, 1000's of hours across 7 or 8 programmes and growing.

We currently have 2 people logging the content with CatDV proxies. There is a huge backlog, it looks like it'll take them about 4/5 months per programme. They are logging for clip sales etc

Our current productions have new footage coming in all the time; a Researcher will log and digitize this simultaneously to our SAN, the notes are then passed on to the producer and editor.

I will then back up the DVCPro HD footage to LTO via Bru Server whilst it's live & being worked with. I will then also create proxies for the loggers (We have a huge backlog of material, and a short turn around for WIP, so I can't see a way of killing two birds with one stone and having the researchers log and capture with CatDV... too much work if they're helping the producer etc)

Is this a sensible workflow? Am I missing a trick or...

Thanks
Tom

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: CatDV - Bru Server - LTO workflow
on Jun 7, 2012 at 2:24:50 pm

The way you describe it, whomever is logging is taking too long. What sort of detail is being logged? Can you apply notes or fields to large groups of shots at one time?

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jun 8, 2012 at 9:22:10 pm

I have to say that "taking too long" is a relative thing.

How much footage, how much detail, how valuable is the footage? Right? I'm on projects now that will take years to log and that's not an issue.

For instance, I've seen 2 people drop 45,000 assets into CatDV with basic logging data in 2 weeks. Not a lot of individual metadata but they got the basics.

I've also seen a team of 6 loggers rolling 16 hours a day (2 shifts) take almost 2 months to log 2,000 hours of footage because the level of detail was deep. (almost 2X realtime due to transcription, coffee breaks and detailed reality logging.)

Your workflow sounds solid. Be sure to catalog what goes where on the LTO tapes and you should have a decent archive with a path back to most anything you want to retrieve.

Maybe take a look at PresSTORE for the archive since you have an LTO drive already. They integrate with the Worker Node and you can send assets to archive and receive back the archive ID and status from the app without more typing. Good folks too.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Tom Barton-Humphreys
on Jun 11, 2012 at 9:47:10 am

Thanks guys

The loggers are not really my domain, I am just dealing with the technical side of things. I have no idea how much detail or what they are expected to log etc.

I'll check out PresSTORE

Thanks
Tom

Return to posts index

Tom Barton-Humphreys
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:13:38 am

Thanks guys

The loggers are not really my domain, I am just dealing with the technical side of things. I have no idea how much detail or what they are expected to log etc.

I'll check out PresSTORE - although I don't understand how it is different to Bru PE/Server?

Thanks
Tom

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jun 12, 2012 at 3:48:51 pm

PresSTORE has an automated workflow. That's the main difference.

http://provideotech.org/catdv-and-presstore-archive-integration/

You can set up the Worker Node to send assets to PresSTORE and then it will report back to the db what archive the asset is in.

No typing, no typing mistakes and automated archive and restore.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]