FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic Server Setup and Network Understanding

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Goddard
Basic Server Setup and Network Understanding
on May 3, 2012 at 12:55:08 am

I am planning to build a CatDV Enterprise Server setup but am trying to understand a little more about how to do this for my specific needs. Heres a little more background:

HUB (Country A):
This is where most of the physical Tape library is currently stored. Lets say 1000's of rushes on tape. All of this will will eventually be cataloged in CatDV.

CatDV server app will be installed on a Mac Mini.

2 CatDV workstations, 1 Macbook Pro, 1 Mac pro. (majority of ingest and logging is done here.)

INTERNATIONAL (Country B):
This location wants to view the proxies and data stored in CatDV in Country A, as well as be able to log footage and amend metadata fields etc.

2 CatDV workstations, lets say they are Windooze PC's.

Lets also imagine we have a few web client licences for remote access anywhere in the world.

-----

So all locations want to access the proxies and catalogs from around the world... My questions are this:

1) Is it best to have the proxies stored with a managed hosting provider?

2) Do small organisations setup their own hosting systems to manage this? I can imagine large orgs like NASCAR, Sony Music perhaps have their own hosting servers but for small companies this is perhaps too difficult.

3) What kind of bandwidth do I need to manage this? Are there any requirements or system preferences? If we are looking a 1000's of clips in low res H264, what is the performance like for remote search queries?

4) Maybe its possible to just connect to the static IP of where CatDV is running?

My knowledge is a little weak in the hosting/network area so any help is much appreciated. I have seen a document from 2003 from CatDV on server integration but it still a little unclear.

Scott

Néo Vérité Limited
http://www.neoverite.com

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Basic Server Setup and Network Understanding
on May 3, 2012 at 4:12:04 am

Not being an expert in networking, it really sounds like the Web client would suit your needs. The difference between workgroup and enterprise is permissions (pretty much).

Bandwidth is what you make of it across the web and at each of your locations. Depending on how much footage you process you could also copy the proxies to the remote location. That would be the same as me copying my proxies off the proxy drive attached to the MacPro at the studio onto a portable drive so I can work offsite with the laptop. Copies of the Proxies could be FTPed to the other site. Just a thought so you could use higher quality proxies. Me, I don't care.

Note that my "server" is my main machine in my #1 suite, the one I'm cutting on at the same time. That's also where the drive containing the proxies lives. That way I don't lose my connection if one of the other machine goes offline for any reason (which it does when it's rebooted and I forget to reconnect to it).

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 3, 2012 at 6:11:52 pm

Honestly,

Don't trust this to a web forum. Call your dealer and hire a pro. This is a very complex network infrastructure for many reasons.

The main reason, just to give one instance, is that "managed hosting" for your proxies are seldom mountable to the desktop in an easy fashion and currently, other than through the Web Client, you need to mount the proxy drive to the OS in order to see them using the CatDV Pro client.

To answer what I can:

CatDV Pro client needs a mounted drive path to see the proxy.

CatDV Web Client can reshare a proxy through the CatDV Server but it is of course limited in ways such as there is no way to add an asset to the db through the Web Client.

If your shop is this big, get integration help.

And for your own sanity, phase this roll out so that you don't have to support remote locations without a solid Server install in your main location with trained users on a proven workflow before you go to the remote sites.

Just my 2 cents... and worth exactly that.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on May 3, 2012 at 7:09:31 pm

Thanks Bryson, just trying to get a clearer idea of what is required before I speak to various dealers.

Scott

Néo Vérité Limited
http://www.neoverite.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 3, 2012 at 7:19:34 pm

1) Is it best to have the proxies stored with a managed hosting provider?

Of course the answer is... that depends. If you have 10Mb or more you can host pretty nice proxy easily. If you have 5Mb up and can use a small proxy, you'll probably live. If you have 2Mb up and can go really low res, and don't have many users, and don't have "touchy" users you can deliver. ;)

2) Do small organisations setup their own hosting systems to manage this? I can imagine large orgs like NASCAR, Sony Music perhaps have their own hosting servers but for small companies this is perhaps too difficult.

Most companies host because it's easier. Moving proxy up to a remote server, setting up the pointers and then the expense of outside hosting seems to drive this. I personally have not seen an organization use a CDN for their proxy yet. Think about it, how many people are you serving to? 5 - 10 concurrent users, the average license for Web Client, doesn't take much to support.

3) What kind of bandwidth do I need to manage this? Are there any requirements or system preferences? If we are looking a 1000's of clips in low res H264, what is the performance like for remote search queries?

You don't load 1,000's of clips in a search. Metadata comes first with a thumbnail. It's not about clip number in most cases. (Tip: Keep you catalogs small if people are browsing! Less to load.)

4) Maybe its possible to just connect to the static IP of where CatDV is running?

Yes. Very.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on May 3, 2012 at 7:25:42 pm

None of that is binding, tested or even guaranteed to be correct at all. This was a post off the top of my head, based on random field observations, not hard testing.

I suspect that what most folks "get by with" is far less than the numbers listed above.

Hope that helps.

Research, Test, Deploy, Repeat! It's the MAM mantra.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]