FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pass through audio on proxy creation

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Goddard
Pass through audio on proxy creation
on Apr 23, 2012 at 2:39:07 pm

Is it possible to pass through audio and only compress video through CatDV's proxy creation tool?

I can do this through compressor (I create most of my proxies in this method as it is faster) but I was wondering if its possible through CatDV as it may be better for automatic file organisation, especially when dealing with lots of xdcam. I like to have pass through as it will keep the tracks separate (such as speeches and natural sound) making it easier for transcription and offline workflow.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Pass through audio on proxy creation
on Apr 23, 2012 at 5:12:25 pm

I just set the audio to whatever the original is, in my case 48K and leave it uncompressed. I don't believe that it takes any more time do deal with. Are you dealing with lots of different audio tracks? There is a function to select a track for playback if more than one is available.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on Apr 23, 2012 at 5:35:01 pm

Yes I have experimented with this. The clips in question have two separate audio channels (i.e. they are two separate mono channels and not stereo). This is how CatDV sees them as it references them correctly in the metadata and I get the option to choose a track to hear in the playback section.

However, it seems impossible to generate a proxy through CatDV that will have the same audio structure. When I try to do it an uncompressed as you have suggested it turns it into stereo, which is effectively a mixture of both tracks that cannot be separated, i.e. it has taken both channels and mixed them into stereo, so its a mash up of the two sources, i.e. I can't get the clean channels.

Lets imagine you have two wireless mics recording a documentary shoot into one camera, I want to be able to separate them at the proxy level for transcription, so effectively I still need a separate channel 1 and channel 2. I cannot get this through CatDV when creative proxies.

If I preselect mono in the audio encoding options I get just one channel.

I am surprised there is not a pass through option as it seems that its something quicktime can handle through compressor and other software. If I do it through compressor I can pass through the audio and have compressed low quality video but with the audio clear and still as separated tracks.

Maybe I am missing something?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Apr 25, 2012 at 11:20:29 pm

No app can do everything. As you mentioned, this can be done with Compressor. Since most larger shops use something like Compressor or some other software, just due to sheer amount of media, it may not have ever come up as a feature.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Scott Goddard
on Apr 26, 2012 at 5:08:01 am

Thanks for the clarification Bryson

Scott

Néo Vérité Limited
http://www.neoverite.com

Return to posts index