FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV playing half of the proxy

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Furseth
CatDV playing half of the proxy
on Mar 22, 2012 at 3:34:39 pm

So I just ran in to something strange in CatDv. We just imported a bunch of field footage recorded on our AF-100 in to CatDV. We rendered out Proxies in Episode using the same settings we have been using for months. When we go to watch the files in CatDV they only play the first half.

I've checked the proxy files and they are complete, and I've even tried remaking some of them and re-importing them and that did nothing.

Some things to note with our workflow, we Batch Edit them when importing the files from the camera because of the Naming convention on the AF-100, (I.e. instead of 00001.MTS we change it to Project#_Name_01)

Also, we just updated our server on Monday. All other proxies are working fine, but to be 100% sure, i am making new proxies for another project to see if it is an isolated incident.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Peter Furseth
Re: CatDV playing half of the proxy
on Mar 22, 2012 at 3:51:54 pm

Update: The proxy of the other project just finished, another .MTS file. CatDV is only playing half of that proxy as well. I made a proxy of a .MOV file shot on a 7D and CatDV is playing the full file. Any thoughts would be great.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 22, 2012 at 6:20:08 pm

I have no idea offhand what would be causing that but just to clarify, do you mean CatDV is playing EXACTLY half the file down to the nearest frame, or simply that it's playing some of the file but stopping before the end?

How was the clip originally imported into CatDV? Is the duration that's shown for the clip correct (and if you play the proxy the time cursor stops half way throught before it gets to the Out point) or is the out point short?

Return to posts index

Peter Furseth
on Mar 22, 2012 at 6:48:29 pm

[Rolf Howarth] "I have no idea offhand what would be causing that but just to clarify, do you mean CatDV is playing EXACTLY half the file down to the nearest frame, or simply that it's playing some of the file but stopping before the end?

How was the clip originally imported into CatDV? Is the duration that's shown for the clip correct (and if you play the proxy the time cursor stops half way throught before it gets to the Out point) or is the out point short?
"

Yes, It's playing exactly half, down to the frame. The clips where dragged in, but because they are AVCHD files CatDv doesn't get any metadata from them. Not until the Proxy is imported. So the duration according to CatDV is half of what the file really is.

I think it was something with the server update. We updated it on Monday to the latest build. Up until then, all of the AVCHD files we made proxies of are working. But Tuesday on, anything we do imports at half length.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 22, 2012 at 10:12:08 pm

Strange question...have you played these proxy files in Quicktime player?

My thought is that if those MTS files are spanned, CatDV and Episode might not do that whereas another tool would.

Make sure that QT Player and CatDV are seeing different durations. If not, check the tool you're using to look at the clips and also strange things like licensing issues. (some unlicensed codecs will only play a certain number of frames when in demo mode, etc..)

This is a stumper.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 24, 2012 at 10:02:54 pm

[Peter Furseth] "The clips where dragged in, but because they are AVCHD files CatDv doesn't get any metadata from them. Not until the Proxy is imported. So the duration according to CatDV is half of what the file really is. "

I'm not sure I quite follow - was the clip in CatDV created by importing the AVCHD .mts file or by importing a proxy? If the proxy, what format is the proxy in and how did you create it?

If you import an .mts file, CatDV should be able to scan the file and extract metadata, including the correct duration (though it won't be able to play it natively unless you have Xuggle installed or create a proxy).

Return to posts index

Peter Furseth
on Mar 28, 2012 at 3:46:42 pm

[Rolf Howarth] "If you import an .mts file, CatDV should be able to scan the file and extract metadata, including the correct duration (though it won't be able to play it natively unless you have Xuggle installed or create a proxy)."

Yes, We are bringing in the .MTS files and then creating proxies in episode. Oddly enough, when we do bring in the files it doesn't bring in any meta data. It doesn't update and fill in the fields until the proxy gets made for it. If you would like I could send you one of the .MTS files to see if it happens on your end. We do not have Xuggle.

@Bryson It's not a trial codec because 1. it plays exactly half. To the frame. and 2. We have been doing this same workflow for 3 months. This is the first project that it has done this with. I've tried a few work arounds and nothing has worked. I am going to try and convert the raw footage to something else and see if that works.

Return to posts index

Peter Furseth
on Apr 4, 2012 at 3:23:37 pm

So now a new twist. We noticed that the duration is half when bringing in the .MTS file, and that we can change it. I know it's not recommended and CatDv takes away the video icon in the type field, but if we change it to what the file really is it plays the entire proxy.

This is such a weird thing. It was working fine until we updated our server. I'm going to upgrade the firmware in the camera on the off chance it's something there and I'll post that outcome.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Apr 4, 2012 at 8:14:35 pm

If you could send us a small .MTS file that shows the problem so we can investigate that would be great, either by email to support@squarebox.co.uk or using a service such as sendthisfile.com (or an FTP server if you have one).

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Apr 4, 2012 at 8:40:07 pm

Hearing the "update duration" thing, I'm betting it's related to the metadata in the original clip not matching the qt proxy.

That is a strange one though.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Schaap
on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:38:55 pm

I know this post is old but I will reply anyway. We are experiencing almost the exact same behavior in our workflow with AVCHD .MTS files from a Sony FS100 and our Sony VG10's.

When we import .MTS clips I have a workernode script that has ClipWrap rewrap the MTS files in MOVs and positions them in the proper proxy path. CatDV finds the proxies and plays them just fine.

However, when importing the MTS files CATDV incorrectly "reads" the end of the clip and truncates it by half. The proxies also only play half of the length of the clip even though when played from Finder I can see that the proxy file IS the full length of the original clip. WEIRD.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 21, 2013 at 6:35:07 pm

What version of the worker are you using? Are you on the latest 5.0.2 update at http://www.squarebox.com/download/?

Also, what frame rate are the movies?

Return to posts index

Jeff Schaap
on Mar 21, 2013 at 6:42:37 pm

Look like WorkerNode 4.0.1d. The files I was testing are 30 FPS althought others (that I have not tested) are 60 FPS.

Return to posts index

Jeff Schaap
on Mar 21, 2013 at 6:40:41 pm

Whoo hoo! I just solved this problem (for our workflow anyhow).

First, I downloaded the Xuggle library from here: http://www.squarebox.co.uk/download/Xuggle-4.0.1065.pkg

as referenced in the CatDV online manual. Then I went into CatDV and set the following preferences:

Preferences > Import >

Under Importing media check Quicktime and Xuggle

Under Importing media dropdown select Prefer Xuggle

Under known media types UNCHECK the option "Enable MPEG parser...

That last step was the key. My guess is that by doing that it forces CatDV to import the MTS files with Xuggle. Xuggle correctly reads the length of the clips! Now CatDV plays the full length of the proxy instead of only half the clip.

I had avoided Xuggle because we tried it once for MTS playback and frankly it was awful. But by just using it to import the MTS files and read the proper length and letting it play proxies it works great.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]