FORUMS: list search recent posts

Worker Export to ProRess

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tim foster
Worker Export to ProRess
on Mar 5, 2012 at 5:43:31 pm

Hello Group..

I work With Primerica Financial Services and we have 18 installed seats of CatDv and one Worker
Node. We plan to expand the seats and add a worker node or two soon.

About 8 months ago we started running into problems with files coming in from our Grass Vally Recorders.
We get a GVG-Intra file that sometimes thoughts the dreaded Invalid Public Atom warning!

We wanted to use the Worker Node to convert the GVG-Intra to ProRes.
I can't seam to find a way to export to ProRes from the Worker!

Have i missed something here!

tim

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
Re: Worker Export to ProRess
on Mar 5, 2012 at 6:28:15 pm

is FCP installed on that machine? ProRes codecs aren't included in all versions of Quicktime.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 5, 2012 at 8:57:43 pm

Yes, we just whatever QuickTime codecs that are installed on that machine. It might be enough to install FCP Studio even if you don't register it but I haven't tried it, so I don't know if that works or is sanctioned by Apple.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Mar 5, 2012 at 9:04:59 pm

there is a way to do it, I just don't remember it offhand

Return to posts index

Sebastien Bertrand
on Mar 6, 2012 at 8:12:21 pm

I believe (but please read the EULA by yourself or verify with the vendor), if you own final cut pro, you are allowed to install the qmaster node (in the extra install folder of FCP) on any number of computers. It does include the codecs you are looking for.

Sebastien Bertrand
Ordigraphe Inc.
Toronto, Canada
http://www.ordigraphe.com

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Mar 6, 2012 at 9:20:29 pm

Brilliant.
Wonder if they come with the new version of Compressor...
And they might also come with the setup and drivers for things like the AJA Kona card and a few others. I'll have to check that one out.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 7, 2012 at 4:36:45 pm

Hey guys, I've been working on an article on this subject but I'll drop the quick version on here.

1 - Absolutely, Compressor, for $50 gives you all the codecs. This is legal, easy and actually pretty cool for Apple to do. Note that you do have to run software update after you pull Compressor from the App Store in order to get all the codecs.

2 - If you own FCP 7, you get a qmaster license with that that allows you to install the qmaster cluster services on all machines on your lan so you can have a cluster... and yes, those machines all get the codecs, even if you never get around to building that cluster. ;) It's fully legal, (but still read the fine print, I'm no lawyer) if the machines are on your LAN and you own even a single copy of FCP7 (FC Studio version whatever?)

3 - That old dusty copy of Final Cut Server that you have lying around? Yup, it includes Compressor and all the codecs.

If you use XDCAM there are some minor caveats which I'll add to this when I get a chance but it sounds like this is all you need.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Allan White
on Mar 13, 2012 at 9:51:52 pm

Bryson, where's the best place to read your articles? I didn't see a blog at your site.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 14, 2012 at 3:47:54 pm

Normally I'll post CatDV stuff at catdvexperts.com but lately, as we are running up to NAB, I've been a bit swamped so I've had to strip back a bit.

That post will get you the gist of things. Also, there will be some new videos coming around NAB too with examples of more advanced workflows.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]