FORUMS: list search recent posts

Restricting Overwrite in paste metadata.

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan McAlpine
Restricting Overwrite in paste metadata.
on Feb 20, 2012 at 6:09:38 pm

My company recently got CatDV and I am setting up permissions for each user. I am running into a huge problem. When somebody copies metadata from a clip and paste it to another clip, there is an option to overwrite all the current metadata. It would be very easy for somebody to select all the clips in a catalog and overwrite the metadata accidentally. Is there a way to disable the overwrite option?

~ Nate

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
Re: Restricting Overwrite in paste metadata.
on Feb 22, 2012 at 5:45:02 pm

If there is a real fear of someone wrecking a catalog like this I suggest using permissions to prevent them from editing the catalog in the first place look for the chck box in the admin panel "other users catalogs" You can make a catalog and assign it to a user or they can make their own catalogs. This way they can freely copy paste or apply metadata without the risk of ruining a catalog.

Return to posts index

Nathan McAlpine
on Feb 22, 2012 at 5:50:02 pm

That doesn't help, since many people need to have write access due to our workflow. It's not a huge concern, but I would feel safer disabling just the overwrite. It would be too easy for somebody to think they have a filter on, select all, and paste. Then they realize, oops, the filter wasn't on.

~ Nate

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Feb 23, 2012 at 2:43:41 am

I should have been more clear... you can duplicate an asset without duplicating the media. In a CatDV environment duplicities of the "records" do not duplicate the files and often make sense from a workflow standpoint. One of the things about video file management it makes you naturally allergic to duplicates and for good reason the files are often huge. This is not the case in a managed environment with tools like CatDV you are free to make duplicates if they help tell a better story and or manage the workflow. Utilizing groups and permissions, they may have write access to an asset just not a master asset for example. Simply make a user or even a group that can only edit their own catalogs and then assign catalogs to the individuals or send them assets to their existing catalogs that they can edit. This affords more control and keeps the metadata preserved, should someone overwrite the metadata on an asset then simply replace with the original. This works especially well for stock footage or ingest catalogs that can feed CatDV catalogs for any number of specific productions, projects or shows for example. There are many possibilities when using the permissions in the workflow that are not always obvious and are usually specific to any given working environment.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Feb 27, 2012 at 2:33:04 pm

It defaults to merging the data (or 'set if blank'), but we'll maybe add a warning so it asks for confirmation before overwriting the metadata on multiple clips.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]