FORUMS: list search recent posts

4 questions from a newbie

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carsten Orlt
4 questions from a newbie
on Mar 11, 2010 at 10:22:49 am

Newbie to CatDV that is :-)

Jumped the fence and got my licence. So I'm in the real world now and working on logging some tapes. I have 4 questions or problems which might not be solvable but I thought I ask in case I miss something :-)

1. Using the verbatim logger to transcript an interview I can't find where I could mute a track. I have 2 but only want to listen to track 2. I can do this in the normal viewer but not in the verbatim window?

2. I can delete individual markers when I select them in the Summary tab but if I add the event marker field to the Log notes tab I can't do the same?
It would actually be really nice if deleting and moving markers would be possible via menu and shortcuts on the same keys as FCP, but than again not everybody is using FCP (I know :-)

3.Why does CatDV never remember my window layout, meaning if I resize the viewer and the details sections and close and reopen they're back to default. Can I make it stick?

4. Does the memory allocation in the preferences have to be at 640 max? I have 16GB Ram and thought CatDV might like to use a bit more?

Thanks a million for any tips!!
Cheers
Carsten

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
PS: one more :-)
on Mar 11, 2010 at 10:28:59 am

One more question:
After I auto detect scenes on my tape I sometimes have to split a subclip because CatDV missed a camera stop/start. I do this by adding markers and when finished choose the make markers to subclip function.
Curious thing is that if I had a tape as a filter selected so I only see the clips belonging to this tape I loose the filter selection in the moment I invoke the marker to subclip function?

Thanks again
Cheers
Carsten

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: PS: one more :-)
on Mar 11, 2010 at 4:28:47 pm

I can speak to the resize and ram stuff, Rolf will need to weigh in on the other.

The ram? Yep, jack it up a bit, that's just a suggestion/starting point.

As to the interface resize issue, I believe that's a Java thing. The double edged sword of having a cross platform app is that we deal with the evil J word. ;) That's also why some buttons and keyboard shortcuts don't map into the app.

One of my clients originally had the VL added to the code (yes, you can "buy" features in CatDV, how cool is that?) But it was a bare bones implementation meant for reality show logging and so doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the main player. We literally map tracks in out QT files and use the system prefs to hear one track or the other in headphones.

I'll let Rolf speak to the other stuff, but that's what I know of that part of the app.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Mar 11, 2010 at 9:24:28 pm

Hi Bryson,

Many thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately both my tracks are captured as mono so i can't separate them via the system prefs :-(

As for keyboard mapping: I use Spark which is a free shortcut manager for Mac. Works for me as a workaround.

Cheers
Carsten

Carsten

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 14, 2010 at 8:21:27 pm

You're right, it should probably remember the filter you were on. I suspect it behaves the way it does to ensure that the newly added subclips are visible in the main window, but of course in this case the tape will be the same.

By the way, you can use the 'split clip' (scissors icon) and 'merge into previous' commands to correct automatic scene detection errors if that's easier.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: 4 questions from a newbie
on Mar 14, 2010 at 8:05:22 pm

Hi Carsten,
Welcome to CatDV!

1. You can't currently turn off audio tracks/channels in verbatim logger, but I agree, that would be useful. We'll see if we can add that in a future update.

2. Odd, I can't reproduce that. How are you deleting the marker? You can select a marker (via the summary tab, or another tab) and then press Del (Fn-Backspace) or Logging > Clear Markers. You can edit a marker by double clicking it in the details table or pressing Shift-M when focus is on the movie (though we changed that recently, it might not yet be in the public release).

3. Hmm, it should remember your viewer size, the same way it remembers the size of the tree. We'll investigate why that isn't sticking.

4. Yes, no problem to increase the memory, though 640MB should be plenty in most situations. Didn't Bill Gates famously say no-one would ever need more than 640KB? :-)

-Rolf

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Mar 15, 2010 at 2:22:51 am

Hi Rolf

[Rolf Howarth] "2. Odd, I can't reproduce that. How are you deleting the marker? You can select a marker (via the summary tab, or another tab) and then press Del (Fn-Backspace) or Logging > Clear Markers. You can edit a marker by double clicking it in the details table or pressing Shift-M when focus is on the movie (though we changed that recently, it might not yet be in the public release). "

I can delete as you say. I can press shift-m while on a marker to get an edit window but I do not get a delete button in that pop-up window.
What doesn't work is the following: Select the 'Logging' Tab. Via preferences add the 'Event Marker' field. Now try to delete a single marker by selecting it from the list. Won't work. You can only delete all at once.
Easiest way to solve this would be to add a menu item 'Delete current marker' and make it separate from the existing one which then only deletes all at once and could be called 'Delete all marker'. (hey - only using it really for a week and already telling what to do :-))

[Rolf Howarth] "3. Hmm, it should remember your viewer size, the same way it remembers the size of the tree. We'll investigate why that isn't sticking."

I'm on Mac so maybe its different to PC? By the way not even the tree section width sticks for me?

Thanks for the tip with splitting and joining clips when adjusting auto detect sub-clips. Will try on the next batch of tapes in 2 weeks!

I really appreciate your open and quick communication!!! Rare these days.
Best
Carsten

Carsten

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 16, 2010 at 9:53:25 am

"What doesn't work is the following: Select the 'Logging' Tab. Via preferences add the 'Event Marker' field. Now try to delete a single marker by selecting it from the list. Won't work. You can only delete all at once.
Easiest way to solve this would be to add a menu item 'Delete current marker' and make it separate from the existing one which then only deletes all at once and could be called 'Delete all marker'"

The "Clear Marker(s)" command will delete a single marker, if that's what you have selected, or delete all the markers if nothing is selected.

I suspect what's happening in your case is that it's getting confused over which markers you have selected. When you added a marker table to the Logging tab did you also remove it from the Summary tab? If not, it's probably using what you have selected on the Summary tab to decide which markers to delete.

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Mar 16, 2010 at 8:53:59 pm

Rolf
Removing the marker table from the summary tab after adding it to the logging tab fixed the problem. Now all is working as expected.
Thanks again
Carsten

Carsten

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]