FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV and mounting drives/shares...makes me nervous

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melanie Wilson
CatDV and mounting drives/shares...makes me nervous
on Feb 14, 2012 at 4:52:39 pm

In CATDV when I am having an end user accessing catalogs for viewing purposes only using CatDV 8.1 client. They are unable to preview video content without mounting the volume that the videos/files originals/thumbs/proxies are stored on. Is there a way for the end user to preview this content without using the CatDV client mounting the volumes similar to how we view content on the web via streaming? Note: I do not have the web version mind you, and can't get one in the current infrastructure/policies we have here.

I feel that having a user mount a volume in order to preview or review content in a catalog could be an issue for some people who may not be familiar with navigating and mounting network volumes or shares. It would be great if we could bypass doing this, creating ease of use for those just reviewing content.

Thanks for your input.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV and mounting drives/shares...makes me nervous
on Feb 14, 2012 at 6:38:25 pm

I agree, you should not allow this. This is the very reason that we use read only proxy shares.

If you are nervous, and don't choose to create proxy, then lock the user's accounts to read only for those shares or provide alternate logins that are read only.

This is not a failing of CatDV, it's a flaw in the environment/workflow. Lock the shares, or create proxy.

Even if you had a web client, you'd need to create proxy, so why not just do that?

Did your integrator survey your network and storage and make recommendations before rolling out the system? I agree that there's huge potential for data loss in your environment.

A "right-click" could cause a disaster.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Feb 14, 2012 at 6:55:53 pm

You could even hang the proxy-containing drive on the area of the network to which these clients have constant access, so they don't have to log onto your shares. Or copy proxies off onto an external drive for them.

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Melanie Wilson
on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:33:35 pm

Integrator.... well, it's a long story. I've basically had to learn on my own at the moment. So figuring out workflow has been a trial and error. I appreciate your recommendations.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:42:26 pm

First, congratulations, this is a tough one to learn and install on your own. I admire your initiative.

Secondly, be careful. Allowing someone to delete all your media is one way to make it easier to manage. But I don't recommend it. ;)

With great power, comes great responsibility.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Melanie Wilson
on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:33:04 pm

But why can't CatDV just allow the user to preview the content without mounting a proxy share? Can't it do it on the back end transparent to the end-user?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:43:12 pm

There are some technical issues that that would open up that would bring all sorts of hell to your world.

Interacting with storage and managing permissions on a file system is a huge undertaking. If you think about it, how would CatDV then "talk" to every type of storage in the world. (Fibre, SMB shares, AFP, NFS, the list goes on.) If CatDV could do this, or any program, it'd be either the most expensive app in the world... or it would lock you to one type or storage.

Does a web browser control your access to web pages? No.. the server does. And that's what servers should do.

Filesystem interactions breed pain for programmers and users.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Melanie Wilson
on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:43:02 pm

I understand the read only and am creating proxy. I had them all living on the same external drive. What we are trying to avoid is having our end-users to mount the share to see the goods? Why can't CatDV just be smart enough to launch and connect? I think I'm saying this right... Thanks.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Feb 15, 2012 at 5:08:07 pm

I only argue for my billable rate.

For free, I merely report what I can.

Short answer, CatDV is an asset management system. It does not manage storage and filesystems... it also will not do your taxes. ;)

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Feb 16, 2012 at 4:54:54 pm

I just have the user's machine at boot up mount the drive holding the proxies. That happens automatically and transparently. I force their copy of CatDV to use the proxies only. Works faster over the network. The Mac portion of the network is gigabit while the PC side is still mostly 100 base. So using the proxies also benefits everyone. Plus I burn in the file name and timecode for the proxies. The "less skillful" can just write down what they see on the screen. Less for me to teach them. ;-)

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:53:00 pm

The reason it works this way is because CatDV tries to interfere with your files and your storage as little as possible. Some asset management systems insist on you using their storage, or on sucking all your media files in and storing them in its preferred format or in its preferred location. We will work with both original and proxy files wherever they are, and play them as long as they're accessible through the file system somehow. CatDV can also be used standalone, without having to set up and run a server, or in a networked environment, giving you a lot of flexibility.

Having said all that, we understand your concerns about not wanting to give people full access to the proxy files. For now the best solution is to put the proxies on a common read-only network share, but in future we will plan to allow http streaming access to your proxies without having to mount the volume.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]