FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating Catalog Names using Worker Node and Expressions?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Torres
Creating Catalog Names using Worker Node and Expressions?
on Jan 31, 2012 at 7:47:14 pm

Hello,

I'm new to Worker Node, and need a little friendly guidance on customizing tasks using expressions...

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have a folder named 'test12345' that contains ten clips and a subfolder that contains ten more clips.

When the 'test12345' folder is dropped in a watch folder, I want the the worker node to move the source folder along with all its contents and subfolders, to another drive and then publish those twenty clips to a signle 'new catalog' where the name of the catalog is the same as the primary folder 'test12345'.

I've successfully created a task that moves the source folder from the watch folder to the destination drive. Where I'm getting stuck is during the post-processing phase. I select Publish, set the Group and then define the Catalog Name: Photo Archive/FY2012/

When I execute the task a new catalog is created that contains all clips from the 'test12345' folder and its subfolders, but the catalog has no name.

If I add $q to the Catalog Name field, as in: Photo Archive/FY2012/$q multiple catalogs are created where the ten clips contained in the 'test12345' folder are placed in a new catalog whose name is 'test12345' and the ten clips in the subfolder are placed in a separate new catalog whose name is based on the subfolder.

That's not what I want either. I need one catalog that contains all the clips where the name is derived from the top most folder that is being moved, and all the clips contained in that folder, and all subsequent sobfolders are published to that one catalog.

Is this something that can be done with expressions?

If so, I would greatly appreciate some help.

Thank you,

-Jim

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Creating Catalog Names using Worker Node and Expressions?
on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:34:44 pm

Might need something a little more fancy to get it perfect, but if you don't mind renaming the catalogs later, you can set the root to the drop folder and use $h to put /folder_name in the Catalog name.

I'd probably script it if it was a lot of catalogs but if you needed cheap and quick, that would get you there with a little cleanup later.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Jim Torres
Re: Creating Catalog Names using Worker Node and Expressions?
on Feb 2, 2012 at 4:32:39 pm

Hi Bryson,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! Using the $h expression got me very close to where I needed to be.

The files where successfully placed in a single new catalog, regardless of their position in the sub-folders. The new catalog matched the name of the original folder (test12345) that was placed in the watchfolder.

The only problem was a new blank folder "\" was being created in the CatDV folder tree. So that it looked like this:

Photo Group\Photo Archive\FY2012\\test12345

instead of: Photo Group\Photo Archive\FY2012\test12345

I had already created an empty folder in the CatDV tree called FY2012. When I deleted it, and then ran the worker node task everything worked perfectly! It created the FY2012 folder in the folder tree, made a new catalog using the name of the original source folder as the name of the catalog, and placed all the clips, regardless of their position in subfolders, into the one catalog.

Thanks again for your help!
-JT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]