FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Bridge and CatDV

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melanie Wilson
Adobe Bridge and CatDV
on Jan 30, 2012 at 3:20:44 pm

Hi Forum!

Curious if there is a way to get CatDV to play friendly with Adobe Bridge. I have a Photographer who has catalogued years of stuff with the fields Bridge has allocated, but only a portion of the metadata is transferring into the catalogue.

I realize this may be because I have customized my user fields in such a way that has prohibited them from coming over, but how do I know where their metadata is coming in from? How can I get the most shared info from this program to CatDV? In particular, the following fields in Bridge I would like to see the tagged info in CatDV; keywords, instructions, provider, source.

Thanks for your input/guidance!
Melanie

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Adobe Bridge and CatDV
on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:08:57 pm

Could you tell us what format you are bringing the Bridge metadata over in? XML, CSV, etc?

Or are you just dragging files into CatDV? If so, I'm not sure that Bridge writes the data into the files. If it does, then you can move fields around inside the CatDV database using "Bulk Edit". You can find any imported metadata in the "Other" field panel.

If you have to do a large set of data, you'd probably want to export the metadata from Bridge (maybe you have already?)

If you're talking about exported metadata, the process would likely go something like this:

Are you using a script to get the data out of Bridge? There's a pretty detailed SDK for Bridge and a lot of folks have created export scripts that I'm assuming you could modify to get an XML that CatDV would take.

From that exported metadata file, the process is to create an XML, translate the fields you want to map to USER fields in CatDV to their appropriate values in your setup (use an XSLT to do this or even MS Excel if it's a one-time thing) and then import the XMLs into CatDV.

Be careful to watch your paths on import so that you don't have to relink all the files.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: Adobe Bridge and CatDV
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:02:33 pm

To echo what Bryson said, we do extract a lot of Adobe metadata from IPTC tags, XMP files etc. when importing media files but if you think data isn't coming over when it should please send a short example to support@squarebox.co.uk and we'll be happy to invesigate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]