FORUMS: list search recent posts

Subclip does not inherit metadata from user defined fields

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toni Popovic
Subclip does not inherit metadata from user defined fields
on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:00:54 am

Hey,

I might have a different workflow than you guys but it would seem to me that creating a subclip would be quicker and less tedious if it inherits all metadata from user defind fields of the entry it was created from. The workflow would then go mark all general info to the parent and then edit subclip metadata only when it differs. I am wondering why this has not come up yet.

If this is changed, the window after choosing "create a subclip" from the player should then read the values of the customised fields of the entry the subclip was created from.

Any opinions about this?

-Toni

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: Subclip does not inherit metadata from user defined fields
on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:58:35 pm

But it does do that already! If you create a subclip it inherits user logging fields from the parent clip.

Or are you referring specifically to fields selected in the new subclip dialog? If so then I think you're right and they default to blank if you don't type anything in, whereas they could pick up the parent value. We'll take a look at that.

Return to posts index

Toni Popovic
on Feb 3, 2012 at 8:56:21 am

Maybe I am doing something wrong? Import video, assign a value for a user defined field from a grouping list, choose in2 and out2 points for creating a subclip and click "New subclip from selection".

The following popup window, as you mentioned, does not read existing values from fields which would improve workflow in my opinion. But the problem I am trying to communicate is after clicking ok and a new subclip appears, it does NOT inherit the value I assigned to the 'parent' entry.

For testing this, I used a new local catalog and I tried saving it in every phase to see if it only read saved metadata but it did not help.

I am using 9.0.5 Windows version of the Professional Client.

Best,
Toni

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Feb 13, 2012 at 6:56:01 pm

Is that user field one that the New Subclip dialog is showing and prompting you to enter a value in? If so then leaving the field blank will fill in a blank value. It will only inherit fields which AREN'T shown in the dialog.

Return to posts index

Toni Popovic
on Feb 24, 2012 at 8:06:43 am

Indeed it works just as you described. Thanks for the troubleshooting. I find this functionality a bit unintuitive and reading existing values from fields would solve this as it would not overwrite metadata with empty fields anymore.

Another thing about the same menu is that if you customise the creating a subclip popup with a multi-hierarchy type user defined field CatDV crashes. The error it generates is: Action failed(squarebox.catdv.$0.$51 cannot be cast to javax.swing.JTextField). After this the Details panel freezes and the client needs a reboot to recover.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Feb 27, 2012 at 3:40:45 pm

Thanks for the bug report, we'll make sure we fix that for the next version.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]