FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making new sub clips

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John A C Allen
Making new sub clips
on Jan 25, 2012 at 4:55:25 pm

I'm new here so please go easy :-)
I have inherited an archive which has a lot of long shots where the operator has left the camera running whilst changing angle. The editor in me screams to cut out the gash footage and be left with trimmed clips.
My first thought is to chop them up in my NLE and export them as separate clips. But as I am accessing all the clips through CATDV anyway I just wondered if there was a feature to do this within CATDV. I can export subclips but they are very small in size. Much smaller than I'd expect. As in Kb instead of Mb sizes.
I've tried bumping up proxy settings and exporting sub clips but it didn't work.
I realise this isn't the main purpose of CATDV but I'm just seeing what it can do.

Return to posts index

Stuart Peck
Re: Making new sub clips
on Jan 25, 2012 at 6:04:51 pm

Hi John, welcome to the cow!

By setting your in point and your outpoint, holding cmd and hitting U, as in FCP you will create a subclip. This creates a new clip in CatDV, so therefore you could feasibly loose your original clip with all the 'gash'.

That subclip will still reference the original file path as the the orignal file did, but less the unwanted footage. This will obviously mean that the size of your archive will remain the same but less unwanted footage in your viewer.

If you're talking about trying to loose some Gb's, you will then have to transcode, re adding to CatDV

Also, you might want to check that you're not exporting a reference QT when exporting from CatDV, a hi res flattered movie will be more that Kb's in size.

Regards
Stuart

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Jan 25, 2012 at 11:35:00 pm

I couldn't find a consolidate command but you can 'export as - movies' and choose not to recompress but to make self-contained your sub clips and it will make copies of just the good stuff... enabling you to delete (or archive) the full rips.

Test before you delete anything though!

Return to posts index

John A C Allen
on Jan 26, 2012 at 11:51:57 am

Trevor that worked a treat. The 'flatten' option made it happen and I got a self contained shorter clip with the same data rate and other attributes that has passed quality control here.
Success!

Digital Media Team at The Sage Gateshead

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]