FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backing up CatDV.

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Cordell
Backing up CatDV.
on Jan 20, 2012 at 4:43:29 pm

So I've read through and searched a number of posts on here. I read the post from Bryson about using the backup button on the control panel to back up on a Mac. So I understand that workflow.

My question is actually one that someone else asked but in reading the thread it didn't really get answered directly. We are running a Mac Mini server edition with 10.7. I currently have the Mini setup to backup to the second hard drive using Time Machine. I know it's not pressing the backup button in control panel but is this a sufficient way to back up the Database? I realize it's overkill as I'm backing up the entire system but I don't see it as a downside. Does this also backup the catalogs published on the server as well? Or are the catalog files saved within the mysql database?

I'll admit I'm in over my head a little seeing this is my first run at a setting up a server but just wanting to learn what I can.

BTW. We currently have the server setup with 5 clients and everything is working very smoothly so far. We are loving the setup and the new workflow it has provided. And just for reference for anyone that cruises this forum regularly, I work with Steve Leary, who has also posted a number of things on here. Thanks for any insight!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Backing up CatDV.
on Jan 20, 2012 at 7:05:24 pm

James, thanks for cruising. ;)

Hey, I'm not sure about how Time Machine handles the sql files but in theory it should cover you.

Perhaps browse back in the /usr/local/"whatever your mysql install is called" folder and see that you're getting a copy of /data/catdv/ and that should cover you.

I so need to write a shell script for public consumption for this. (As soon as all the other stuff is done.) ;)

Check that file and if any of the other crew here uses TM, let us know if it looks good. Also, if your catdv folder isn't too big, and you trust me, feel free to send it to me and I'll look it over. I'd like to confirm that too.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

James Cordell
on Jan 20, 2012 at 7:21:23 pm

Is this the folder you speak of?

I check the TM backup and everything in that folder is also in the backup as expected.

Yeah I don't understand how an option for a scheduled backup of the database isn't built into the control panel. It seems like it should be standard practice. But then again I didn't write the code and don't have a fraction of the knowledge about it so I can't say much.

Let me know if that's the folder/file you were talking about and I could send it over or something? Thanks!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jan 20, 2012 at 8:05:15 pm

James, no!!!!!

That's the installer folder. There's none of your data there.

The "catdv" folder I'm speaking of is hidden in the /usr directory which is not visible through the finder except by either using the terminal or the "Go To Folder" command under the "Go" menu in the Finder.

Type /usr/local/ into the "go to folder" box and see what you see.

As discussed before, if you are on 10.5 or 10.6 server OS, you will have a different path, (you'll have to go look it up) but if you installed mysql fresh, the path I laid out, should get you to the db.

As is often mentioned here, you can get CatDV running without an "admin" but to really make sure it's solid, Rolf's not kidding, you might need some command line knowledge, as mysql isn't really "user friendly." D@#n these computers! It's a lot of important data, and it's worth making sure it's secure. If you have an IT dept. they can probably help you sort this. If not, it might be worth a call to your dealer to make sure that you've got this all solid and secure.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

James Cordell
on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:33:47 pm

OK this is better. I was a little confused on why I couldn't find that folder. Everything just clicked.

And I did confirm that the folder is duplicated on the TM backup as well. Took me a little bit to get the folder path figured out but it is there. I'm curious though that the folder doesn't have admin user permissions allowed, only system. I didn't want to change anything in there as not to upset the system. So the catalogs and everything are all stored inside that catdv folder with the red circle? Let me know if one of those folders is one you want to check out? Thanks for the help so far. I'm hoping this can become a solid way to back up the server so others can utilize this method. Still seems silly it's not built in?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jan 23, 2012 at 6:49:04 pm

Yes, It's locked for a reason. ;)

Yes, that's the one. And if you're ok with it, I'd love to check a restored copy from TM.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jan 23, 2012 at 7:02:12 pm

As, to the "it's not built in" comment, CatDV is an enterprise level asset management system that just happens to be priced at a level that non-enterprise customers can purchase. That doesn't mean that it doesn't require serious admin chops to administer it.

Let's use the car analogy again. If you are given a Ferrari, you still have to pay for the $2,000 tune-ups. You can't just take it to Jiffy Lube on the corner. Hopefully that's ok, because you didn't spend the $250,000 on the car so there's budget for the upkeep, but if not, you'd buy a Honda. In the DAM space, there just isn't really a Honda.

Most admins have a backup scenario in place and one that they prefer. And so the developers allow them to handle that and other aspects of the configuration. For instance, if you are using MySQL on that system to do other things, you might already have a backup in place. (One would hope.) In our setups, we often have other databases in addition to the CatDV db that are all being handled differently. So other systems could be impacted by the CatDV backup. If for instance CatDV stopped MySQL to do it's own backup, other processes could be disrupted.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

James Cordell
on Jan 23, 2012 at 7:07:37 pm

OK that makes sense. I guess I am thinking more along the "Consumer" lines. I didn't mean any offense by it but my non-server mind was thinking, "WTF?". haha. Well we are only using this server for the CatDV so I don't think we would have any conflicts with backing up that I know of. I'll send you that file.

Return to posts index

James Cordell
on Jan 24, 2012 at 7:21:15 pm

Bryson, did you get my email?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jan 24, 2012 at 8:02:47 pm

Got it, and just completed a test.

The Catalogs (I believe 3?) opened and were fine.

I can't fully say, due to the limits of the test but it appears that Time Machine versions of your CatDV data restore fine.

I say, "better than nothing, and likely all you need," just to keep myself out of trouble. But when I placed your data in my server, it all worked as nirmal.

I'd like support to weigh in too.

Guys in the UK, let me know if you'd like a look at this but the db came up live on my machine without issue.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Sebastien Bertrand
on Jan 25, 2012 at 3:07:41 am

Hello James,

The way to backup a mysql database is usually by using the mysqldump command line utility.

Something along the lines of:

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqldump -u root catdv > /Volumes/backup/catdv.sql.backup.sql

This is probably what the catdv control panel is doing when you press the backup button.

You might want to automate this backup using crontabs or other automation mechanism.

Cheers,

Sebastien Bertrand
Ordigraphe Inc.
Toronto, Canada
http://www.ordigraphe.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jan 25, 2012 at 4:42:28 pm

Sebastien,

Totally correct. This was a response to a thread from a while ago,

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/278/875

about what to do if a user couldn't set up a proper cron job. As I stated, and should state again... the best solution and the one approved by Squarebox is to have your integrator set up a script to dump the database. But as we see here, often, there are a lot of folks who end up with CatDV and no admin help.

This is the "anything is better than nothing" thread. ;)

Nice to have you on the board!

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]