FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating Folders that contain catalogs

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Johnson
Creating Folders that contain catalogs
on Dec 12, 2011 at 2:58:57 am

Hi CatDV folks!

Quick question and I am sure simple one for you CatDV experts.

Assume one has a enterprise server and one wants to have folders under The Catalog folder (at the highest level of the server).

So the situation would be three folders under the catalog folder...
- Finished Masters
- Raw Footage
- Stock Elements

Within each of the above three folders, there would be the actual x.cdv catalog files.

So the question is how does one create the highest level folders? (Finished Masters, Raw Footage and Stock Elements).

Thanks in advance.

Chuck Johnson

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
Re: Creating Folders that contain catalogs
on Dec 12, 2011 at 3:54:04 pm

The highest level folders under catalogs are production groups created when logged in as an administrator in the CatDV server admin section under the server menu. You can right click on these production group folders and create additional folders and then catalogs.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Dec 12, 2011 at 7:32:04 pm

It's done in the tree, under "Server" under "Catalogs".

The key is that they look like folders in the tree, but they list as "folder/catalog" instead of seeing a folder icon in the "Browse Database" view. That may be what's confusing you, there's no "folder" in that view, only in the tree.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Dec 12, 2011 at 11:11:15 pm

That's right, there's no such thing as a folder by itself, a folder is displayed in the tree if there are catalogs with a "/" in their name. You can create a folder by right clicking in the tree using the CatDV client to simplify arranging your catalogs by dragging and dropping them from one folder to another but these folders are only temporary within the client application. Unless you put a catalog within them they'll go away next time you quit and relaunch the client application.

To answer your question therefore, you don't need to create the top level folders. To save a catalog called "My Project.cdv" to the "Raw Footage" folder, just save the catalog as "Raw Footage/My Project.cdv" and the "Raw Footage" folder will appear automatically in the tree.

Return to posts index

Chuck Johnson
on Dec 14, 2011 at 4:17:31 pm

Thank you guys for the help...got it going!

Another question dealing with permissions...

I have the Enterprise server up on a Mac...all lights are green (except for web client but tackling that later).

I created a catalog on my local PC client and tried to publish it (control S) to the server. I am logged in to the sever. It was refused...the error message reads. "Failed to publish catalog (You don't have permission to publish catalogs)"

I then checked my local client preferences and made sure the "Allow write access to server" was checked and it was. I then went to the Mac server and made sure CatDV server had permission to read/write files for each user login.

What am I missing???

thanks in advance.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Chuck Johnson
on Dec 14, 2011 at 4:24:20 pm

...also, went to server admin panel to set up some groups and users (User admin tab) and noticed the "create" button is grayed out...so I assumed it was a permissions thing (since they are all grayed out too!)

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Dec 14, 2011 at 5:45:34 pm

You also need to check the permissions in the User Admin panel. Depending on the production group, role and user permissions, you may not have permissions to do certain actions. Check your docs to see if you've got the settings setup correctly.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Chuck Johnson
on Dec 14, 2011 at 6:40:49 pm

Hi Bryson,

Yep, I checked that area...all the options are grayed out so I can't create new users or grant permissions.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Dec 14, 2011 at 10:10:04 pm

What user are you logging on as?

The process you need to go through is first log on as Administrator, then create production groups and roles and give them the appropriate permission (eg. News Editor might have full read and write access to the News group, whereas the Other Staff role only has read access), then create users and assign them roles, then log on as a user with the appropriate write access role and publish catalogs.

I'm puzzled though, didn't you say earlier you could publish catalogs but were wondering how to put them in folders, but now you can no longer publish catalogs?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]