FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using 'Re-import As' to convert Avid MediaFiles media to native Quicktime?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lindsay Simpson
Using 'Re-import As' to convert Avid MediaFiles media to native Quicktime?
on Dec 7, 2011 at 8:45:25 pm

Hi all,

I am merging an existing Avid_MediaFiles library (media which has been consolidated or transcoded into Avid Media Composer and now only exists with an avid codec inside the Avid MediaFiles library) with an ever-expanding native media library. I have sorted and categorized most of both the avid library and our native camera libraries. We are moving away from the avid system, and some media originally ingested into avid exists in no other form or location. I was hoping after I've sorted and added notes to all of this Avid based media, that I could use the 'Re-Import As' function of CatDV (we are using version 8.1...)to convert these to a native, self-contained quicktime which can be easily identified and utilized in our new NLE of choice Adobe, as tehy exist in the Avid_MediaFiles form this is almost impossible. I just attempted a quick "Re-import As' and when the process was complete a new video file and 4 audio files were created for a single clip. How do I customize the re-import settings to create a self-contained quicktime file of the format/codec I desire and saved to a specific location?

Any thoughts or suggestions? Clarification needed?

Thanks,

Lindsay

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
Re: Using 'Re-import As' to convert Avid MediaFiles media to native Quicktime?
on Dec 9, 2011 at 10:07:37 am

Hi Lindsay
I suggest you check out CALIBRATED SOFTWARES products ( calibrated software.com ) . This in conjunction with our MXF option will allow you to import natively the Avid files and then you can generate proxies from within Catdv. The proxy does not have to be lo-res, it can be whatever you wish it to be. However you can then tag the assets within Catdv and even use the AVID files natively within Premiere ! This will save you an awful lot of work .

I would also suggest you upgrade to version nine.

hope this helps

Kevin Duggan
CatDV/MME

Return to posts index

Lindsay Simpson
on Dec 9, 2011 at 3:53:24 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your response. That is helpful and I will begin experimenting with the proxy. As for upgrading to 9, I wish that was an option. We purchased 8 shortly before 9 was released. At this point, I'm waiting to upgrade when CatDV programs support for Ikegami MXF structure. Hopefully that will show up in a new version sooner rather than later. Until then CatDV can only handle 2/3 of our media and I can't justify the upgrade to those with the purse strings.

Thanks again,

Lindsay

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
on Dec 9, 2011 at 4:11:01 pm

Hi Lindsey
I remember that I did some work with Thompson on their Infinity camera. From memory I was using a Telestream product which gave me native Iki support ..Check out their website . It should offer you the other third of the workflow

Kevin

Kevin Duggan
CatDV/MME

Return to posts index

Lindsay Simpson
on Dec 9, 2011 at 4:20:43 pm

Thanks for the tip! That would remove a huge road block from getting our media archived.

Lindsay

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]