FORUMS: list search recent posts

Regular expressions in CatDV Worker // Looking for right syntax

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonid Nekrasov
Regular expressions in CatDV Worker // Looking for right syntax
on Dec 7, 2011 at 11:20:17 am

Hi everybody,

I have a question about using the regular expressions in Worker. I am trying to set up a job, where the Worker only proceed the files, that start with a word "test" in a filename.

For example:

test_123.mov
testimesti.mp4
test me.mov

but not

12test.mov
A_test.mov

after I tried everything and read many different tutorials about using the regular expressions, I still can't figure out the right expression. I try to use it in the field "Include" under "Conditions/Basic Attributes" in Worker.

Can anybody please help me. I think many users would find your Tip useful. Regular expressions is a very powerful tool, that I try to learn and that can significant boost the power of CatDV Worker.

Best Regards
leo

Return to posts index

Bob Spencer
Re: Regular expressions in CatDV Worker // Looking for right syntax
on Dec 7, 2011 at 8:25:05 pm

Hi, Leonid-
I agree that the use of regular expressions opens up some very powerful CatDV functionality, and there are a few integrators like us that have already explored REGEX in detail. For simple explanation and examples, look at the Worker release notes

For your immediate needs, I think you can use a simple match of the filename ("Basic Attributes" under Conditions, or variable $g if used in a formula) which tests for string "test" at the beginning of the filename, e.g.

/^(test)(S+)[^/]*$/

Make sure you remember to check the the REGEX box!

Bob Spencer
Video Technologies Group LLC
bob "at" vtgny dot com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Dec 7, 2011 at 8:32:36 pm

The FULL regular expression, given that I assume you only want to match files that start with "test", not for that text appearing somewhere else in the file path, would be

^.*/test[^/]*.mov$

What the characters mean is:

^ = match start of string
.* = any number of any characters (. = any character, * = repeat previous match any number of times)
/test = literal "test" right after a file path separator (assuming you're on Mac OS)
[^/]* = any number of non-/ characters, as you want to ensure that "test" occurred in the final filename component of the path
. = matches a period "." ( means "escape" the next character and ignore its usual special meaning)
mov = literal "mov"
$ = match end of string

This expression is "anchored" to the start and end of the string and gives you maximum control, but it's quite complex. As a shortcut, the worker will also recognise common Mac and Windows command line abbreviations, so you should also be able to write

test*.mov

to do what you want.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Dec 7, 2011 at 8:35:02 pm

Ok, it looks like the forum has stripped out my backslash characters! It obviously uses \\ itself as an escape character. That should have read

^.*/test[^/]*\\.mov$

-Rolf

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Dec 7, 2011 at 8:36:08 pm

Aargh! I give up. Previously it stripped out my backslash, now it's doubled it up!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Dec 7, 2011 at 10:27:20 pm

^.*/test[^/]*\.mov$

Did you mean this, Rolf?

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Dec 8, 2011 at 4:01:03 am

That one works, as tested in Worker Node 4 today.

Thank you Bob and Rolf both. There are tons of regex resources on the web, but a lot of them give info that doesn't pertain to the app but this should be enough to start from.

Worker Node is not an app, it's a career. ;)

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Bob Spencer
on Dec 8, 2011 at 7:22:41 am

It's a small club!

There may be one more edit required, as Leo also wants to match for other file types that start with "test" (e.g., testtime.mp4):

try this, which blends the previous methods:
^.*/test[^/]*.*$

Good luck, Leo!

Bob Spencer

Video Technologies Group LLC
bob "at" vtgny.com
vtgny.com

Return to posts index

Leonid Nekrasov
on Dec 13, 2011 at 9:35:20 am

Thanx everybody. This will bring me much further. I think this and some other often needed examples of using regular expressions belong into the manual of the Worker ;)

Regards
Leo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]