FORUMS: list search recent posts

custom tags in CatDV??? is CatDV right for what I need....

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Procopio
custom tags in CatDV??? is CatDV right for what I need....
on Dec 1, 2011 at 3:26:20 pm

a client has 3+years of back footage they want to get under control and in a searchable database. I played a little with CatDV, and think it might be what we could use...but after I grab the clips into CatDV, can I create custom pulldowns to catagorize what we're looking at? for example...i have 10 clips of a football game....i want to be able to choose certain tags like crowd shot, cheerleaders, touchdown, big hit, camera, reel, lighting etc...I know how to create markers, but how do i create the fields for the individual criteria (not the user fields, want pulldowns so it is idiot proof...for whomever does the logging of the clips, so they have a specific item to choose from, know what i mean?

also, does this work if we log the clips without capturing? with 3 years of footage, I don't want everything online, but living on tape, XDCam etc...their original sources...

thanks.

Trying to get a demo but haven't been contacted yet. And the Tutorials on their site don't go into setting up the software, only what it can do...

TIA
Joe

Broadway Video, NYC
AVID/FCP editor/engineer

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: custom tags in CatDV??? is CatDV right for what I need....
on Dec 1, 2011 at 5:17:48 pm

Joe, it can do all of these things and more.

Generally CatDV is installed by an integrator/dealer at first so that you get it up and running quickly without being frustrated. Mostly due to the fact that most video pro's aren't database administrators or DAM designers. However, you can certainly get it rolling by digging in and reading the manuals as well.

If you need a deeper demo, contact your local dealer and they can walk you through the specifics. Also, JB&A are the US distributors and they can get you a demo as well and answer some initial questions.

This is exactly what CatDV is made to do.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Dec 7, 2011 at 6:35:55 pm

You can define drop downs (as many as you want) to tag clips with keywords. Look at the User Defined Fields and Pick Lists sections of Preferences for this. This metadata applies to the level of complete clips (or subclips).

If you want to tag specific frames within a clip without creating subclips then creating event markers or using the Verbatim Logger are the way to go.

Return to posts index

Joel Melancon
on Jun 28, 2012 at 7:40:18 pm

Hi,

I am starting to build an ingest/logging workflow for a Tennis tournament using CATDV. Very excited so far.
I have a problem related to this subject.
Is it possible to define searchable drop downs for specific frames within a clip? I tried creating marker categories with names like "ace" "winning shot" "smash" so my loggers can choose from that list when logging and not have to decide on the good word to chose for tagging. The idea seemed to work great but then I think I discovered that the categories are not a searchable field : if I type "smash" in the search box, nothing comes up, only the comments and marker names seem to come up in the searches. Is that correct or am I doing something wrong? If not, is there a workaround to achieve what I want

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jul 2, 2012 at 10:24:58 pm

The quick search field excludes the marker category name but if you do an advanced search on the Event Markers field that searches the category.

Other options might be to use the Verbatim Logger and set up macros on the numeric keypad keys, or possibly to create subclips for those specific frames. We'll make a note to see about implementing your feature request in a future version of CatDV however.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]