FORUMS: list search recent posts

fails to change file name

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Gilding
fails to change file name
on Nov 17, 2011 at 9:03:48 pm

I am running CatDV server edition 9.0
When I import a clip or series of clips and try to change the clip name in the catalog, it asks if I want to change the name of the original file. When I click ok I always get an error saying "failed to rename file." Anybody else having this issue? Is there a setting I should be changing?

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: fails to change file name
on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:21:03 pm

Is this on Mac or Windows? And do you have the details panel open on the Movie tab at the time? QuickTime on Windows locks the file while a movie is open which prevents operations such as move or rename from working. Try checking the "Avoid preloading movies" option under the File System preferences tab and staying on the Thumbnail tab to see if that helps. It might also be a straightforward permissions problem. Try renaming the file in the Finder or Explorer and see if that works.

Return to posts index

Ryan Gilding
on Nov 18, 2011 at 3:30:38 pm

Rolf,

I did check the "Avoid Pre-Loading Movies" setting and stayed in the thumbnail tab and it did rename the source media. Good call! One more question. I am trying to go back and rename the source media through catalogs that originally would not allow me to. In other words, when I am in the thumbnail tab and rename the clip in the catalog, the option to rename the source media does not appear. Is there some way to get this option to reappear?

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Nov 18, 2011 at 6:26:19 pm

Try using Bulk Edit to copy the clip Name field to the Source Media field.

Return to posts index

Ryan Gilding
on Nov 18, 2011 at 7:09:21 pm

I've been trying this over and over and it does not change a thing. With "Copy from Another Field" clicked I've been using "Source Media" in the destination field and "Name" in the source field. Could you give me a little more direction on this? What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Nov 18, 2011 at 10:23:34 pm

What is it doing? It should pop up a dialog asking if you want to rename the file.

There may be more than one field called Name. Hover the mouse over it to make sure you pick up the clip name field.

Return to posts index

Ryan Gilding
on Nov 21, 2011 at 4:07:27 pm

Rolf,

I hovered the mouse and chose the correct "Name" field but to no avail. It doesn't bring up the dialog box asking if I want to rename the media. I will keep trying but if you have more suggestions or advice on this it would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:58:09 pm

You're definitely setting the Source Media field to a value different from what it currently is, and have the preferences option "Enable commands to Delete and Move Media Files" selected? If so it should ask you whether to rename the file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]