FORUMS: list search recent posts

Update html page with in the worker

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jos Brouwer
Update html page with in the worker
on Nov 10, 2011 at 10:48:00 pm

Hello,
Is it posible to update a html page with the worker in catdv.
We want to make a html page of our library, in de post prosses tab it is possible to make a html page, but when we want to add new clips to the existing html page it's over write the page.
Is ther a possibility to update a html page with new footage?

Regards
Jos brouwer

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Update html page with in the worker
on Nov 11, 2011 at 3:09:23 am

I believe the idea is to create multiple indexes by using variables to name the page created. $T for time, for instance, so you'd have a list of pages by the times that the items were processed, or by filename etc.

One caveat, If you append without a "flushing" mechanism, you end up with a huge file that someone has to manually delete from if you leave it for a while.

If you want to update a list, it's probably going to need to be done by reading XML's or using the Worker v4 to append to the page as items are processed via the command line.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Jos Brouwer
on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:17:04 am

Hi Bryson,

thanks for your reply.

We are using worker 4.0.1.d , i thought it is possible to update existing html pages,
because in the worker manual is written: on page 6- generate or update a html index page listing the processed clips
and on page 15: Additionally, if you specify the file name for an HTML index file that file is automatically updated to include details of all the clips in the current catalog.

But can you tell me how it works with the command line?
i've got a lot to learn concerning the worker, it's a very nice tool!

Thanks again

Jos Brouwer
LVBNetworks
Holland

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Nov 11, 2011 at 4:36:58 pm

We should wait to hear from Rolf on that one then. I think it used to update now that I think about it.

The command line interface section in the manual lays out the functions of the CLI pretty well but as with all automations, it assumes a bit of knowledge of command line and shell functions. A user can search for a clip by any metadata field and then it reports the metadata fields or you can specify a field to update. Once you have the values from a query, you can pass them on to another operation or file. It's simple in operation but very powerful in use since you can tie other API's and systems to CatDV in an automated fashion.

I've not spit out data directly to a file, other than simple echo operations and errors with the CLI, but we use exported XMLs to create lists in a web app we're developing called the Reporting Module. It takes CatDV XML and spits out a running report of operations, or files, with metadata and a selection to show as much or as little history as you like. It's probably a bit heavy duty for what you're doing unless you need to manage several different reports but it's an example of what you can do with the Worker Node and some outside code.

On the Worker Node, yes, it's a lot of fun and amazingly deep for what appears to be such a simple app. It's some of Squarebox's best work in my opinion. There are sneaky things buried in there that still amaze me. To anyone looking to get started, begin with the basic stuff and then add to it and also remember that you can chain workflows together to make more complex ones. No need to do it all in one script. Look in the help section for the available variables and play with those and you'll see that there are so many things you can do once you dig below the point and click.

Let's see what Rolf says about the update/append of Worker indexes, if that works, it'll be way easier for a simple report. You could spend a lot of time setting up a script and Rolf probably will have a simple answer for us. If not, then you can start looking into deeper work.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Jos Brouwer
on Nov 11, 2011 at 8:01:12 pm

Hi Bryson,

i'm very curious if Rolf has a simple answer, because i'm a editor and don't know anything about command lines and shell function. That's something i will get into deeper in the next year but for now there's much more to learn about catdv and especially about the worker.

For us, we only want to get one of our library's public in html and when we add new footage we don't want to put it in manually.

For the worker, there are many things to try and figure out, so we can expand our workflow. I use it only since the last 3 months, that is not a long time given the potential of the worker.

Thanks Bryson,
i'll hope to hear from Rolf a easy way to fix this.

Regards
Jos Brouwer

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Nov 13, 2011 at 10:25:49 pm

Unfortunately as it stands the "Create HTML Index" function in the worker isn't very useful. It exports all the current clips for whatever task it's working on at the time, but as it works on them one clip at a time you only get one clip per HTML index, as you've found. There are some situations where you'd get multiple clips, eg. when importing a movie and doing automatic scene detection, but on the whole it's not very useful I'm afraid. We should perhaps remove this altogether, or add further options to make it work properly (eg. an option to append to an existing index, to choose which columns are displayed, to tie it to a specifc server catalog or query, and so on).

Apologies for the inconvenience. I've added this to our feature request list. In the meantime your options are probably to use Live HTML Publisher or the Web Client, export an HTML catalog manually from time to time, or finding someone with some css and xml skills who fancies doing some scriping with the worker command line interface, eg.

catdv -catalog "My Catalog.cdv" -print Name,Bin,Tape,In,Out,U1,U3 -format xml

Return to posts index

Jos Brouwer
on Nov 14, 2011 at 8:55:39 am

Thank you Rolf,

i think we're gonna update the html then.
Thanks for the reply.

Regards
Jos Brouwer

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Nov 14, 2011 at 6:55:47 pm

I almost wanted to make this a separate post but it's pertinent to this so I'll drop it in here. I just

The Worker is a special app and a lot like Final Cut Pro and or a Web programming app, in that it does certain things "out of the box" and it also makes certain things, "possible."

In theory, with a copy of FCP, you can make a feature film. "I" can't, because I don't edit worth a d%mn but... it's possible. Without a NLE, it's not really possible, or at least really hard.

We who work with this app system for a living are in a tough place here on the Cow. We have to cover what's possible as well as what is simple to do out of the box. In most larger asset management systems, there is a team of folks installing and programming things so you only need the "hooks" as we call them to get you started and it can be built from there. With CatDV, due to it's low cost of entry, we have folks who are mostly editors and post professionals setting up their systems. This is great but there gets to be a point where you may not have the skills, want to spend the time to develop the skills, or want to even deal with the deeper integrations.

If I wanted to make a film, I could spend the years to develop my editing chops, but I'd probably just hire a good editor. (or talk my talented editor wife into it. ;) )

I just wanted to address this since often here we speak of pretty deep things that can be done but likely wouldn't be taken on by a typical video shop without some outside programming help. We have to cover both since places like Turner and NASCAR and other big places have programmers in-house who'd take that XML or HTML and build a list out of it and be done. While being sensitive to the needs of a smaller shop that might never want to attack that on their own. Since we never know who is writing in, we have to offer both ideas.

There are thousands of things that you can do, out of the box with CatDV and it's associated apps, but there are millions that are made possible by the programming hooks built into these apps. We have to address both sides.

Finally, I hate to get into sales here, but know that if you want something custom, your dealer, JB&A (Matt Stamos) and Squarebox can get you the help you need to set up anything we discuss here.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]