FORUMS: list search recent posts

clips via xml

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robb Harriss
clips via xml
on Nov 9, 2011 at 1:37:23 am

Ok, so I'm creating a sequence and then exporting to fcp7. The clips arrive ok, but opening then up they're not the 5 or 6 seconds I marked but the entire 20 or 30 minute master clip. My preferences are set to export clips from in to out, and not the entire clip. So how do I get get sequences to export just the segments? I thought this used to work. It's causing me problems in FCP when I want to reload a clip or two that's in an older format. FCP wants to reload the entire original master clip rather than what I've marked. I'm still in an offline mode so I don't want to go through a big process of Make Offline, and building a new project and moving it back into my working project, just for a couple of funky clips.
Thanks,
Robb

Non-linear: all the time and nothing but.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: clips via xml
on Nov 9, 2011 at 5:09:37 am

I"m betting this is a support thing but if you can't get it to work I've done some weird tricks with sending out ref movies and importing them for this sort of thing, (lame, but can get you by) but I'm hoping Support's got an answer for you.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Nov 9, 2011 at 3:20:39 pm

Thanks Bryson.
single sub clips drag and drop into FCP just fine, defined at their marked limits. Right now I'm just using a CMX EDL and capturing the clips from scratch, and that's working fine. But I'd much rather no go through the effort and simply use the CatDV clips, especially since a lot of them are already in ProRes Proxy. All I'm doing is repeating my work.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Nov 10, 2011 at 8:39:08 pm

Are you dragging straight from CatDV into Final Cut Pro? That won't work. That's the same as dragging from the Finder and will always send the whole file over without metadata.

Instead, you need to drag the clip(s) onto the Final Cut Projects node in the tree navigator. Alternatively, export the clips as a Final Cut 7 XML file.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Nov 10, 2011 at 9:14:02 pm

I've tried exporting/importing the xml file to no avail. Tried dragging into the correct Node in the Tree and that didn't work either. If I break a clip into a single sub clip, that exports correctly, that is—only the marked limits of the clip and nothing else from the master file. It's the sequence exports that are giving me trouble. I spent most of yesterday reloading clips I exported to FCP as a cmx.ed. That worked fine.
Funny. This used to work fine.
I'm on 9.0.2 on a 8-core MacPro with 10.6.8. Some of the CatDV Proxies are on attached drives and some across the network on drives attached to another Mac, and some on a RAID attached to a old Discreet Edit system.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Nov 11, 2011 at 8:20:46 am

You could try toggling the "Export clips as whole clip/selection" option in Preferences.

I'm must admint I'm not 100% clear what problem you're describing. You're importing a file into CatDV, so you get a master clip representing the whole file (eg. 20 mins duration), then you're marking in and out points and creating a subclip (eg. 5 seconds duration), then you're creating a sequence and adding that subclip to it, then you're exporting the sequence to FCP and suddenly the sequence is 20 mins long instead of 5 seconds (assuming you added just one clip)? Please send some screenshots and a copy of the XML file to support@squarebox.co.uk if that will help to explain things.

Return to posts index

Robb Harriss
on Nov 11, 2011 at 3:46:52 pm

no, not quite. The creation of sub clips was only an experiment.
What I'm actually doing it creating a sequence first, then calling up full tapes (which exist full-length files in Photo Jpeg proxies on the system). Marking an in and out in the Source side of the sequence editing panel and dropping that marked clip into the sequence. When done I export the sequence as FCP 7 xml I can import the xml file into FCP 7. That sequence is populated with the proxy media. However, if I try to capture media to replace a shot/shots the FCP looks to load the entire original source file, not just the clip. So Instead of reloading a handful of 30 seconds of footage for a half dozen shots, it wants to load two hours worth of ProRes. The producer has put together large sections of the project as sequences in CatDV so I just want to export the sequences and reload only what I really need.

Here's one of the xml exports on Dropbox http://dl.dropbox.com/u/129533/third%20set%20of%20clips.xml

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Nov 13, 2011 at 10:01:06 pm

Ok. That's probably the expected behaviour from CatDV's point of view. It won't create new media objects unless it has to. If it has a source media object that describes the whole tape it will refer to that in the sequence, not create a new one for each clip in the sequence. After all, if you already had the whole tape on disk at full res you'd want to use that, you wouldn't want to be forced to redigitize.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]