FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auto-number or auto-complete clips

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hallie Mullins
Auto-number or auto-complete clips
on Nov 4, 2011 at 3:49:22 pm

In FCP under log and transfer you can enter clip names like "Andrew crosses street" if you name another clip the same name FCP automatically names it "Andrew crosses street1", and then "Andrew crosses street2" so that clips do not have the same name.

I see you can do this under bulk edit but what if I have just ingested the card data and I am going through clip by clip giving everything a unique name? I'm assuming there has to be a way to do this in CatDV, I just cannot find it.

Does anyone have any insight on this function?

Thanks!

Hallie

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: Auto-number or auto-complete clips
on Nov 4, 2011 at 4:14:08 pm

Not sure on ingest.

Rolf can probably speak to this, but as you say, Bulk Edit works. I'd tend to think that if you are ingesting into an asset management system you'd want to collect the original clip name first, to ensure a path back to the data, and then rename, if you like.

While that's a great edit feature, for DAM systems I'd rather collect the true media name first and then edit.

Rolf, what're your thoughts on this?

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Nov 4, 2011 at 6:15:35 pm

CatDV will automatically add -1 etc to clips that it has created (eg. when you do automatic scene detection) but when you import a file it just uses the name as it finds it.

Return to posts index

Hallie Mullins
on Nov 9, 2011 at 3:54:08 pm

I think that I may have explained this poorly. Let me explain my file-based (we work almost exclusively with SSD, no tapes) workflow in FCP.

I open the FCP log and transfer window and open the file containing the CF card I have saved on my hard drive. As I go through through the clips I re-name them and if I have similar names FCP auto-completes them for me as a search engine would for a previous search. Some of the clips are the same scene/content (e.g "buildings from car") and therefore have the same name. When Final Cut transcodes these clips it automatically adds a number 1, 2, 3.... to the end, to make them unique.

When I do this in CatDV and hit cmd+e to export (transcode), it tells me that my clips do not have unique names. I am wondering if there is a way for CatDV to auto-fill recurring text and to automatically add numbers to file names on export.

Thanks for your help!

Hallie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]