FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV Worker and FFmpeg not getting along?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Newsome
CatDV Worker and FFmpeg not getting along?
on Oct 24, 2011 at 4:41:19 pm

When passing a conversion to FFmpeg if the file is too large FFmpeg will hang half way through and does not exit properly. The process must be killed to continue the CatDV Worker Node workflow; resulting in a corrupt/incomplete file.

From the command line FFmpeg works perfectly when issuing the conversion command shown below. That being said, I put the command for FFmpeg into a shell script, so that CatDV executes the script not FFmpeg directly. This did not resolve the problem. If the same script is executed from the command line FFmpeg will complete the task.

When used with a Watch Action on CatDV Worker Node, that's where the problem is.

I really hope I'm just missing some check box or something. Any ideas?
Thank you.

M

= = = = Information = = = =

Input file
MPEG-4 H.264 Baseline
1024 kbits/sec
640x360 Letterbox
Frame Rate 24
Key Frame 24
Audio AAC-LC
96 kbps
Stereo 44.100 kHz

File sizes
35MB works fine
122MB fails

Watch Action / Conversions / Execute command 1: ($g = base filename of input)
/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg -i /directory/$g.mp4 -acodec libvorbis -ac 2 -ab 96k -ar 44100 -b 1024k -g 24 -s 640x360 /directory/$g.webm

Software
Mac OS X Server 10.5.8
CatDV Worker Node version 3.1.0
FFmpeg version 0.8.5
libtheora-1.1.1
libvorbis-1.3.2
libvpx-v0.9.7-p1

Hardware
Xserve 2x2.66 Quad-Core Intel with 12GB of RAM

= = = = = = = =

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV Worker and FFmpeg not getting along?
on Oct 24, 2011 at 7:56:08 pm

I'm assuming the usual escaping of spaces etc has been done so I'll just share what I've seen.

I've seen timeout errors in shell commands from Worker myself.

Curl would timeout on large ftp transfers, for instance.

But once it's passed to a script I've not seen failures since the shell completes or does not, generally.

For something that simple you could just use a cron job (or similar function) on a folder and remove the Worker completely, if you had to, but obviously a variable passed to a separate shell script should work

Let's see what the support team has on this.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Martin Newsome
Re: CatDV Worker and FFmpeg not getting along?
on Oct 24, 2011 at 8:54:17 pm

The first watch folder pulls the file to a different system and replaces the spaces with underscores. Preforms a "conform" for the rest of the workflow... poster images, multi-formats, etc. This one little bit is the only part that stops the process. Weather or not it's called from Worker or a shell script. On it's own the shell script works fine, it's just when Worker Node executes it that it fails. ... driving me crazy. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]