FORUMS: list search recent posts

Verbatim Logger

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve leary
Verbatim Logger
on Oct 20, 2011 at 7:29:56 pm

In verbatim logger, is there a way to both apply and save text at the same time? It seems as though you can do either - apply or save text - but not both. I would like the text to be saved in the Notes field and also apply the markers that I've made in verbatim logger so they show up on the clip. I've messed around with the settings but can't seem to figure out how to accomplish both at the same time.

Once again... I really appreciate all the help!

Steve

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: Verbatim Logger
on Oct 20, 2011 at 8:01:10 pm

The Verbatim Logger doesn't let you do that because then you'd end up with two different representations of the log, leading to the obvious question of what should it do if they disagree? Which one is the correct one?

If you really want the plain text log as well as markers use the Copy Text button and paste it into another field.

Return to posts index

steve leary
on Oct 20, 2011 at 8:10:44 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply Rolf. I'm not sure I understand though. How would you end up with two different representations of the log?

All I'm trying to do is, with one simple click, apply the markers I've created AND save the text log so it shows up in the notes field. That way, when an editor gets the clips, they have both the markers on the timeline and the notes to go with it. I'm just trying to save steps in the process. I'm not sure I understand the difference in representations I guess.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:52:32 pm

The same data would be stored in the clip twice, both as markers and as notes.

Return to posts index

steve leary
on Oct 21, 2011 at 1:23:19 pm

I'm not sure what the issue with that would be (only because of my ignorance).

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Oct 21, 2011 at 5:30:51 pm

Steve,

The main issue that I can see is that the markers and text would be out of sync if someone edited the markers after the log was done.

If you had a "save both" button, then that's all well and good if you use the VL interface. But... the minute someone made a new marker, the text would be out of sync and folks would start to gripe about that "feature". ;)

Rolf is proposing three clicks or key commands, copy text, go to your text field and paste. Because the alternative is to risk the two fields that people assume are in sync, getting out of sync without them knowing. Also, with the either or version, if you go to VL and change your button push, the Markers move to the Notes and vice versa, if you let them get out of sync, changing that button push would overwrite some potentially necessary info without notification.

As the feature stands, it prevents data loss, unless you manually change the Notes and the extra steps, while mildly annoying, make the user realizes what's being done.

You could maybe script a copy of the field's data in the Worker, although I've never done that. But that's one way to try it. I've been doing a lot of field replacements with Worker lately.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

steve leary
on Oct 21, 2011 at 6:25:00 pm

Hey Bryson,

I first want to thank both you and Rolf out for helping a newbie like me get my head wrapped around this stuff. I really appreciate it! I can see how multiple people could make things out of sync and so that makes sense. However, we are a really small shop.

We have a producer that logs all the video of a given show and then writes a script for that show. Therefore, using VL is the preferred method to log everything. He then needs to print out a hard copy of everything that's been logged - so he can use it as a reference when they are writing their scripts. He's only looking to print out clip name, log notes, and marker information in a nice neat word document if at all possible.

Once the script is written, the editor then needs to utilize the markers and notes so he can better find something within the 400-500 clips per show that they are working with. Is it better for the producer to export an XML or just drag all the clips into the FC project listed in the "other" tab on the tree?

Since the editor hasn't seen any of the video off of these 400-500 clips, he needs to be able to see all the information the producer has logged.

We have 2 producers and 2 editors that basically work with each other. No one is touching each others projects. The 2 producers work only on their projects an the 2 editors work only on their projects. Therefore, in our case, there shouldn't be any "cross contamination" with people adding information and getting things out of sync. That's why, for our situation, a "save both" button would be beneficial and lessen the clicking/keystrokes. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to print only what's needed in a nice neat way. I wish that I could figure out how to print like this:

Clip Name Event Marker TC Log Description

Right now I get:

Clip Name Even Marker TC Log Description Event Marker TC Log Description

so it's all 1 run-on sentence with event TC's in the middle of the log description when there's multiple events.

Anyway... CatDV is a great and powerful tool. I just need to learn how to best use it to our advantage.

Again... thanks for all the help!!

Steve

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Oct 23, 2011 at 9:43:59 pm

I'm not sure what problem you're seeing with printing. In Verbatim Logger, press Apply so you get event markers, rather than saving the log to the Notes field. Choose Print > HTML Formatted, then select HTML View, Include thumbnails: None, and check preserve formatting in text fields. That should give you what you want.

The potential issue with the fields getting out of sync doesn't depend on anyone else editing the same clips. If the verbatim logger saved your log to both the Notes field and Event Markers table, then you come out the verbatim logger and edit the two fields separately (by typing stuff into the Notes field in the details panel and creating new markers by pressing the "flag" button in the Movies tab or pressing the 'm' key) you'd end up with the two sets of fields containing different information. Let's say you do that then go back into the verbatim logger, what should the verbatim logger show? You'd end up with a confusing mess, that's why it only saves to one or the other field depending on what type of log you're trying to create.

Return to posts index

steve leary
on Oct 27, 2011 at 9:25:26 pm

Is there any way to hear scrubbing when you grab the red "flag" on the timeline and move it across?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]