FORUMS: list search recent posts

CatDV Server hardware

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
CatDV Server hardware
on Oct 18, 2011 at 5:54:09 pm

Lastest/Last Xserve3,1 2.6G 4core Intel Xeon 12Gig RAM with DB on internal mirrored raid

or

MacMini Server 2.0G 2core Intel i7 8Gig RAM with DB on external SSD mirrored raid via Thunderbolt

Does CatDV/MySQL benefit from more than 2 CPUs? Does Lion affect this? Is Lion recommended for CatDV Server?

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: CatDV Server hardware
on Oct 18, 2011 at 6:21:06 pm

I've heard Lion is fine, you have to install MySQL as it no longer ships with it but other than that, the word is that things are good.

Rolf, what's the word on the processors? I'd assume drive speed is more critical, maybe an SSD with a backup clone would be a good speed boost as well now that they are cheap.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Oct 18, 2011 at 7:22:43 pm

I'm sure more cores won't hurt but you're right, overall I suspect fast disks, fast RAM and a fast network are more important than raw CPU power.

Return to posts index

Jon T Foster
on Oct 19, 2011 at 12:24:16 am

More cores will be helpful on the transcoding or encoding side of things, otherwise, faster disks, RAM and clean network is the priority.

Jon Foster

Sales Engineer

Niche Video Products, Inc.

Atlanta, GA

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:06:06 am

[Jon T Foster] "More cores will be helpful on the transcoding or encoding side of things, otherwise, faster disks, RAM and clean network is the priority."

This is why I'm interested in using a Mini with a screaming fast Thunderbolt SSD for DB access... to leave Worker work alone.

John

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:39:33 am

Man, I'm going more and more that way myself. As I move transcoding and proxy operations off to other machines I like the little baby servers.

Also, the Mac Mini cluster is pretty awesome for transcoding, driven by the Worker. I wish Apple would get Compressor 4 clustering straightened out so we could load Compressor legally for $50 and then it'll be a no-brainer, 6 quad core macs in 3 rack spaces - 24 cores for like $6-7k.

Thunderbolt will let us go fibre even for SAN connected peeps.

Not great for a hardware dealer (there's like $1 profit in that) but it's a lot of power for not much bread.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]