FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scene Detect features

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
Scene Detect features
on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:10:56 pm

We use the scene detect feature in CatDV to break apart film transfers to make clips of each play and to generally break apart very long records prior to archive. One thing that slows this process down is checking accuracy. No matter the setting there will always shots that are broken in half that shouldn't be.

I did a scene detect and stumbled upon what appears to be a scene detect QC feature. Once I detect scenes and create markers, I use the marker list to play each scene. I got into the mode where the first click on the little "play" icon in the list cued that scene 2 frames prior to the in point, then the second click played it. This is the perfect way to QC a scene detect! If the clip changes after the second click you know it detected a camera cut. If it's a whip pan of the same scene the you can remove that detect.

Is this truly a marker QC feature or just some odd behavior? I did have some problem getting back to the that mode. Sometimes the first click would play the movie and not cue it. Very helpful regardless!

My only problem is deleting marked scenes. If I delete a scene, then create subclips from markers, the deleted scenes are not included. Is there a way to merge marked scenes so it appends to the previous mark instead of deleting it entirely?

Another thing I'd love to see in scene detect is a minimum duration so whip pans and film flashes don't create <1sec scenes.

Any other scene detect users out there?

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]