FORUMS: list search recent posts

Attaching multiple mediafiles to catalogue

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Pearson
Attaching multiple mediafiles to catalogue
on Oct 10, 2011 at 2:58:08 pm

Hi
I'm sure you said this could be done, and even how, but I've been away from the system and have still not managed to make it work:

I have a folder full of JPEGs and an Excel spreadsheet of details, including a column with the file name (but missing the .jpg extension). I've imported the catalogue to CatDV and would now like to attach the relevant JPEG to each clip, preferably in one fell swoop rather than using Media>Attach Media multiple times.
Is this possible in the standalone pro version?
Many thanks
Andrew

Andrew Pearson
British Library

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: Attaching multiple mediafiles to catalogue
on Oct 14, 2011 at 9:49:43 am

Try the following steps:

Save the Excel spreadsheet as tab separated text. If necessary, add a row of columns at the top, and maybe add an extra column which contains something that looks like timecode 0:00:00:00. After playing around a bit you should be able to import the tab separated text file to end up with one clip per row in CatDV, but without the thumbnail attached. You might already have done this by the sound of it. If not, see http://www.squarebox.co.uk/faq145.html for additional tips.

Next, import all the JPEG files, into a separate window if that makes it easier. You should have the same number of clips in each window, one with metadata and no media, the other with media and no metadata. Sort both windows so they're in the same order (eg. based on image file name), then select all the clips with no thumbnail and do Edit > Copy. Then select all the clips with thumbnails and do Edit > Paste Metadata.

Return to posts index

Andrew Pearson
Re: Attaching multiple mediafiles to catalogue
on Oct 17, 2011 at 4:26:14 pm

Hi Rolf
That worked great! You're right - I'd managed to import the metadata, tho' your link is useful to confirm my hypotheses! I'd also imported the jpegs on a seperate occasion, but missed the 'Paste Metadata' bit. Now that works too. I just have to go back to the owner to clean up his work and make sure each jpeg has a discreet catalogue entry, as there're some discrepancies, it has become apparent...

Is there any way to actually link a metadata object to the correct filename, or is it just a matter of getting it right in the pre-import stage?

Thanks for your help
Andrew

Andrew Pearson
British Library

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]