FORUMS: list search recent posts

h.264 progressive download

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Starkey
h.264 progressive download
on Oct 5, 2011 at 4:52:16 pm

Hello,

I can't seem to get the proxies to Progressively download in H.264. Hinted Streaming is checked in the preferences. The workaround I found was to reopen them in QT Pro and do a save-as. This seems to flatten the .mov and place the moov atom in the correct place. After that the files progressively download.

I'm sure this is a QT and H.264 problem, but figured I'd ask how everyone else is doing it. Its not a great user experience outside of our network if they have to wait for the entire file to load.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Re: h.264 progressive download
on Oct 5, 2011 at 6:42:54 pm

Are you using the Worker or CatDV Pro? And you're creating a .mov rather than an .mp4?

If you're using CatDV, make sure you don't check the "Add QuickTime timecode track" option under Extra Tracks as doing sometimes seems to undo the fast start'ness of the movie.

Return to posts index

Brad Starkey
on Oct 5, 2011 at 7:26:22 pm

I'm using .mov Thats what our sources usually are. I don't see how to change the container within QT pro or CatDv? We use both the worker and Catdv Pro to create the proxies. I have the issue with both.

Thanks for the reply,
Brad

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Oct 6, 2011 at 6:34:32 am

There is an Apple Quicktime issue that affects CatDV Pro and Worker, in my experience. (there's a kbase article that I can't find right now.)

It looks like Apple has broken this. I have found that using Compressor to make the proxies works, which is strange. But I've gotten a few clients able to use web proxies with this workaround.

I'm off to my Honeymoon! I hope you guys all fare well out there while I'm enjoying a little rest.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Brad Starkey
on Oct 6, 2011 at 5:47:31 pm

Thanks Bryson, enjoy your honeymoon.

How would I automate the proxy path if Catdv or worker didn't create the proxy?

Return to posts index

Brad Starkey
on Oct 6, 2011 at 7:48:29 pm

The files behave properly in Safari when I'm using HTML 5 to play the video back. HTML 5 doesn't work for me in the latest version of Firefox.

I guess i'll instruct my clients to use Safari and HTML 5 for now.

I'm still very interested in learning how to automate a relative path for proxies created in different software.

Thanks,
Brad

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
Integrating with 3rd party transcoding tools
on Oct 7, 2011 at 10:40:22 am

If you're using the worker to import files into CatDV then then you should be able to get that to control 3rd party transcoding software, depending on how configurable that software is. Some software lets you submit jobs via the command line, some via watch folders, and some using Apple Events, all of which you can trigger from the Worker by writing a suitable script.

Broadly speaking, there are 3 steps involved:

1. Decide on your file organisation and overall workflow and set up your CatDV media paths, eg. original media on one volume, proxies on another, and thinking about what "root" you want to use (as discussed elsewhere at length). Work with a small test file and create a proxy manually using CatDV Pro so you know where the proxy file will be, how it's named, and check that everything that needs to picks it up ok (eg. the Web Client, other CatDV Pro clients, clients on another platform, etc.)

2. Once you understand what CatDV expects, see what you need to do to get your 3rd party transcoding tool to generate files in the same place (including the appropriate relative file path etc., with either .mov or .mp4 or .jpg extension). This may involve passing in the input and output filenames and a conversion preset from the command line or something more complex, eg. putting a file in a drop folder, moving the converted file out afterwards, etc.

3. Once you understand what you need to tell your transcoding tool to do, configure the Worker Node to automate the process. In the simplest case you can directly invoke the tool via a CLI (command line interface), using Worker variables such as $p, $P, $Q etc. to construct the path(s) you need. In more complex situations you might need to write a shell script, passing your file name arguments to that and having it do a sequence of steps or issuing AppleScript actions using the "osascript" command etc.

You might need a systems integrator to help you with this but if you break it down into separate steps like this and do some experiments to find the answers at each stage it shouldn't be too difficult.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]