FORUMS: list search recent posts

Change file names

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders Teigen
Change file names
on Mar 2, 2010 at 10:46:36 am

Hi

I've got a XDCam project where the logger has named the mov clips/files using norwegian characters as well as the '&' sign. This is problematic when moving the clips into FCP. Files with the norwegian letters suddenly expects only one audio track, while files with '&' does not come through at all. Is there a way to rename the mov files from inside CatDV? Or has anyone a suggestion for the best workflow for renaming? We're talking about 100 clips. I hope to avoid reimporting, since I will lose verbatim and other logging info.

-anders

Return to posts index

Anders Teigen
Re: Change file names
on Mar 2, 2010 at 12:24:59 pm

OK, so this is how I do things now:

-Using a automator rename routine, I replace the diffucult characters in the media (capture scratch) folder.
-I filter out all the problematic clips in the CatDV Catalog.
-For each clip I replace the same characters in the "Name" column, and do an "Attach Media" routine to the right media file.

Tedious, yes, but the director was "happy" to do it...

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Mar 2, 2010 at 4:54:44 pm

Anders,

Do you have the CatDV Worker?

Worker has some pretty heavy file rename features. Coincidentally I was just working on some workflows for a client, so I was digging around in there this am.

If you had your files in a "bin" or tape folder structure, meaning one folder per load named as a virtual tape name, the worker can pick up the enclosing folder name and automatically increment them, while adding any other text you like using a string of text or variables. It can then move them or republish them to catalogs with the new names. "Rename" can be as simple as pulldown item in your server layout.

The Worker is a truly powerful, and mis-understood, piece of the CatDV family. It's the engine that "gets things done", once you dig in.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Mar 2, 2010 at 6:36:49 pm

Bryson brings up a good case for the Worker Node and it really is the key to automating and streamlining CatDV enterprise server based workflows. Another manual way to do this is to use the bulk edit option under the tools menu as this can be a powerful tool for renaming most any field.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 2, 2010 at 11:32:52 pm

You should be able to do what you want with the Bulk Edit tool. First you could copy the Name field from all your clips to another field such as Notes (if you want to keep the descriptive name as a comment). Then you can check the "Auto rename files when setting Name or Bin" in Advanced User Interface preferences and do a Bulk Edit of the Name field, setting the name to something like "Clip 001.mov" with the "auto-increment following pattern" option checked. That should rename all your files to Clip 001.mov, Clip 002.mov etc.

Return to posts index

Allan White
on Mar 2, 2010 at 11:52:31 pm

Squarebox have acknowledged others' ideas for improving the Bulk Edit feature elsewhere in this forum, which is appreciated.

Here's another refining idea: The copy/move from field is really powerful, but could be more so for building filenames. In addition to my suggestion on a token-based string generator, being able to truncate or limit strings would be magical. I used to use Excel to do this with formulas, and was nice for clip names.

Something like this: notes field says, "Comcast is so lame in the US" might yield a filename like,
Interviews-AW 001, "comcast is..".mov

To build all of that in one operation (bin name, 'person' custom field, number, note field in quotes) would be really amazing. Consider it! =)

- Allan White, Video Producer, Luis Palau Assoc.

Quad 3Ghz Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, X1900 GPU, XSAN, CatDV Server

Return to posts index

Allan White
on Mar 2, 2010 at 11:44:58 pm

"The Worker is a truly powerful, and mis-understood, piece of the CatDV family. It's the engine that "gets things done", once you dig in."

It'd be great to see more examples of what Workers can do on the Squarebox site; I know about ones that do encoding but that's about it. This is a very worthy, but under-marketed tool/system in my opinion.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
bryson jones
on Mar 3, 2010 at 2:31:53 am

Let me run down a few of the things that the worker can do. (it's hard to demo sometimes, for me, because the workflows are involved to set up and pretty specific, so I tend to show simple watchfolder and server queries but we'll have some stuff at NAB)

I call The Worker a scripting engine that can read from and write to the CatDV Server. It can watch the Server for changes to metadata and then perform actions based on that. Also it can do things based on watchfolders in the OS, as well as move and copy files at the OS level. All of this can be fired by a change in the metadata such as setting a flag or changing a value in a field.

Here's some things that we do with it:

Worker can, create proxies based on a watch folder and then publish the clips into catalogs, filtering by any number of variables, like file type, etc... perfect for auto ingest of footage or ftp drop situations where you catalog everything that comes into a facility automatically. (a large music company uses this to receive video clips from around the world and have an "inbox" ready when they come in in the am)

That same "sort" allows people to dump media into a large "dumpster" folder and have CatDV sort it by type and auto catalog it, so instead of "where did you put that?" and "did you catalog that?" you can be assured that the clips are all in CatDV and that the Worker has tucked the media into the correct folder on your SAN or server.

You can export quicktime files of movies from a pull down item. As in, pull down a tab that says "send to bob" and worker will export a QT in your chosen format and then drop or FTP it to "Bob". (idiot proof, automated delivery)

Export the metadata of a clip as XML so that another system or company can accept it. With XSLT, you can reformat it on the way out into their preferred data format. (I do this for a company delivering files to web hosts. It makes sure that they have the correct credits and licensing data for each file) so the "send to brightcove" pulldown exports a copy of the file in the format they need, and then uploads it and the corresponding XML file onto their server.

Move clips from catalog to catalog based on a pulldown status field, so that you can use a catalog as an "inbox" for work coming in. For instance, "for approval" might move a clip to a producer's inbox catalog and sends them an email that they have a new clip to approve. Then, when they've watched it, they mark it approved or rejected and then the worker moves it to the next place down the line, and sends you an email detailing what just happened.

It's basically a lot of the stuff that Final Cut Server was supposed to do when it came out. (You all have that running now, right?) In Apple's defense, none of this stuff is "plug and play" but if you put in the time, or have the right team, you can move a few mountains... of media.

There are thousands more ways to use it. Kevin Duggan has done miracles with it. But basically, if you have the Worker, you can all just go home and the place will run itself... ;) Now, if it could only heat up a Hot Pocket...

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Anders Teigen
on Mar 3, 2010 at 9:22:26 am

Thanks for good ideas!

I'm not on a server solution, so I guess I will try to manage with Bulk Edit. At the moment I can not find a way to rename so the media files get the same names. The names of the media file on disk does not change. This is essential. If the link later should be lost between the file and log in FCP, it will be very hard to locate the right file if they are not the same.

There are three possible columns for "name" in the catalog view, but only one available in the Bulk Edit tool. Is there a way to get to the "hidden" columns from bulk edit?

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 3, 2010 at 10:52:21 am

The destination of a bulk edit can't be a read only field, but you should be able to use any field as the source of bulk edit when you're copying data from one field to another.

There are some changes coming up that will make it easier to identify which field you're using if you have different fields with the same name (eg. built-in fields, user-defined fields, etc.)

Return to posts index

Anders Teigen
on Mar 3, 2010 at 11:44:58 am

"The destination of a bulk edit can't be a read only field"

So there is no way to change the media file names from inside CatDV?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Rolf Howarth
on Mar 3, 2010 at 12:55:02 pm

Yes, you can bulk rename files. Make sure you're setting the clip Name field (NM1) as the destination (enable "Show attribute IDs" in advanced user interface preferences if you have several fields with the same name) and also that you have the "Auto rename files when setting Name or Bin" option checked.

Return to posts index

Anders Teigen
on Mar 3, 2010 at 1:35:29 pm

This sounds very good, I just can't get it to work. I've checked auto rename and attribute IDs in advanced user preferences, I've got only the Name (NM1), the change works in the catalog, but when revealing the file in finder it's just the old file name. I am not prompted during this operation as described in the CatDV Help.

It should work, but it doesn't. It must be me.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Rolf Howarth
on Mar 3, 2010 at 1:47:00 pm

Ok. For changes to the Name field to rename the file the clip name has to exactly match the current filename. If you already renamed either one or the other then the renaming won't work. It's also possible there might be some weird Unicode character thing going on I guess.

In the next version of CatDV we plan to make this a bit easier and let you directly edit the Source Media filename to rename the file, rather than having to do it via the clip name field. In the meantime, if you still have problems please send an email to support@squarebox.co.uk and we'll try to sort you out. We might ask you to mail us the catalog file and/or the CatDV error log file so we can work out what's going on.

Return to posts index

Anders Teigen
on Mar 3, 2010 at 3:30:01 pm

Thanks! I'll do that.

Return to posts index

Anders Teigen
on Mar 4, 2010 at 9:29:31 am

Thanks Rolf for helping me out here.

Creating a new catalog and importing the file directly works! 

Then I copy a clip from the original project - it does not work. 

The initial importing and logging took place at a different facility, so I cannot account for what they did. But what I can read out of the differences between the imports is this:

• They have the same name identical to the filename - BUT the initial import does not have the extension (mov) in the name. I've tried to add the .mov extension and then rename, but it still doesn't work.
• The logger have changed the tape name in the catalog, and this is not the same as in the mediafile. I've tried to change it back, but it still doesn't work.
• The import path is different (the existing mediapath is the same). I am working on files from an identical disk as the original, so this should not be a problem.
• The field/column called FileExtension differs - and I find this very interesting… The initial imported clip (not working) is said to have XML, while my imported files comes up as MOV, as would be expected. I've learned that the initial import was via FCP and XML, while my latest test was importing media directly from disk. I would assume that the dog is burried somewhere along the xml-path.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Rolf Howarth
on Mar 4, 2010 at 10:02:20 am

The file extension field refers to the original import source, ie. the XML file you imported the clips from in your case, not the source media file, so you don't need to worry about that.

For renaming by setting the clip Name to work it has to exactly match the current filename, including extensions, accents, etc. This is kind of a roundabout mechanism however, so in future we'll let you directly edit the media filename.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Mar 4, 2010 at 11:15:34 am

Ah. That's interesting, there seems to be a problem with the way file paths containing Unicode characters are encoded in a Final Cut XML file so the files aren't coming over to CatDV properly. We'll need to investigate to see if we can fix that at our end but for now your best solution is probably to import the files directly into CatDV, batch rename them there, then send them to Final Cut, if you can do that.

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Geir Ove
on Mar 4, 2010 at 12:45:59 pm

Don't know if this is to any help with the rename issue in this thread, but I'll post it here as it is a rename problem.

I figured out that if you have renamed a file and choose "no" when CatDV ask you if you would rename the file, you will not be able to rename the file again in the same catalouge. If you give the file another name CatDV will not prompt the massage where you can choose yes or no to rename the file.
Our solution was to rename the files in CatDV for so to export an XML to Final Cut Pro. Then you can rename the files using the rename file to match clip in Final Cut Pro.
We have also experienced this rename problem when the media files are stored on a shared volume even if the user has read and write access.

Geir Ove

Return to posts index

Anders Teigen
on Mar 4, 2010 at 2:06:23 pm

It's a good way to go to rename files, only in my case I have to get rid of the ampersand in my filenames ("&") before I go to FCP, because the XML goes corrupt, and then I cant get the clips from CDV to FCP in the first place.

Return to posts index

Anders Teigen
on Mar 4, 2010 at 1:08:53 pm

There is a lot of logging done in the CatDV catalog after initial import that I don't want to loose. In todays cost-benefit analysis it seams that the manual way is the better one: Rename files in finder, then Attach media for each clip.

Thanks a lot for all help though.

-anders

Return to posts index

Allan White
on Mar 4, 2010 at 9:01:31 pm

Anders, I really like "NameChanger" for renaming Mac files in the finder, it's simple & free. Probably not a bad idea to do so before importing.

Return to posts index

Anders Teigen
on Mar 4, 2010 at 10:31:03 pm

Thanks for the tip.
We finished earlier today. This is how we did it.

1. I created a simple renaming tool in automator and removed all instances of ampersand ("&") in the media file names.
2. In CatDV: we filtered the catalog and found all the corresponding entries. They were now offline because the renaming of files.
3. Selected the entries, did update media directories. Had to manually connect to each media file. Now The media files were correct, and the mediaPath in CatDV was correct. But the Name still had the ampersand.
4. Exported a Final Cut Pro XML of the selection
5. Imported XML in to FCP, selected all clips, made a rename > clip to match file.
6. Exported XML back to CatDV, and pasted the all correct entries in to the master catalog.

What have we learned of this? Never ever ever put an ampersand (&) in a filename, stay away from special unicode characters and characters like norwegian "æ", "ø", or "å" - and avoid whitespace while we're at it. And even if most editors may know this very well, it doesn't follow that the loggers or self-logging directors do - so set up a naming standard at the outset of shooting a new film. I prefer Date_Location_incremental for file based media. Tape_Location_incremental for tape based. Everything else in other columns. This for documentary work, fiction may want to do something else. Good night, and good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]