FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cache-A archive question

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Crausman
Cache-A archive question
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:46:43 pm

Greetings Cow!

I'm running catdv enterprise server. I recently installed v9 on the client computers.
In V9.0 when you go to archive there is the option to "Preserve file attributes and resource forks".

Anybody know what this means and why you would or wouldn't want to do it?

Thanks

Jamie Crausman

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
Re: Cache-A archive question
on Sep 21, 2011 at 1:42:01 am

Since before OS X, Apple has always had the ability to attach metadata (resource forks) to files (a.k.a. data forks). Use of this is being phased out but a few programs rely on this data (i.e. pre v6 FCP). Extended file attributes are a newer way to keep track of file metadata.

The safest choice is to archive this information. The downside of doing so means tracking over twice as many files in your tape's catalog - this metadata is captured as "AppleDouble" files on any Linux system like Cache-A's.

If you are archiving data that you know doesn't need this info (i.e. DPX sequences), turn this option off.

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
602 Park Point Drive
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Return to posts index

Jamie Crausman
on Sep 22, 2011 at 4:15:44 pm

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I guess I'm still not sure if I NEED to back up this info. It is rather a pain when you use the Cache-A interface to find a file and see all the AppleDouble files. Will backing up this info help the OS when if you browse the tape with the LTFS format?

Jamie

Return to posts index

Tom Goldberg
on Sep 22, 2011 at 4:33:05 pm

The only way I know of to find out if you NEED this info is to run a test, omitting it on a sample project and see if your applications have any trouble with the restored data.

This info is not useful for LTFS listings because it takes so long to pull off tape for each file - this is why we recommend only using a List view when looking at the actual LTFS volume.

Someday we will have a way to hide all those AppleDouble files, but I feel your pain having to see them in file lists today!

Tom Goldberg
Cache-A Corporation
602 Park Point Drive
Golden, CO 80401
mailto:tom.goldberg@cache-a.com
http://cache-a.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Sep 23, 2011 at 7:45:12 pm

Most "modern" files probably don't strictly require data in the resource fork, but you should always do some tests if you're not sure.

For example, I'm aware of text editors that will store the text of your document in the normal data part of the file, but will store things like the window layout and cursor position from when you last edited it in the resource fork. It's nice that it remembers and puts you back where you last were when you come back to reopen the document, but not a great deal is lost if you don't have that information. Other apps might use the resource fork for more critical data however.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]