FORUMS: list search recent posts

a catalog for each hard drive?

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve West
a catalog for each hard drive?
on Sep 16, 2011 at 1:31:29 am

I'm trying to figure out the best way to use CatDV in my workflow. After a shoot I copy the media to 2 portable drives or bare drives- The media is also copied onto a Raid that I only store the current projects on and that's what I edit from. That media is deleted from the raid after project delivery. No need to catalog the raid.

Right now to find the media on the bare drives I have some printouts of the directories, and I end up plugging and unplugging drives until I find the right ones, and I have close to 100 drives to go through.

My thoughts are to catalog the bare drives so I can see what drive has the media I need to restore a project to the raid. The files on the media backup drives are just in folders like Client/Project/card1, card2 etc. and multiple clients and projects would be on a drive. The media can be DSLR MP4 files, P2 or xdcam- and there's no meta data beyond what the camera does automatically (but that's about to change)

Should I make a separate catalog for each drive?

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: a catalog for each hard drive?
on Sep 16, 2011 at 3:46:51 pm

Hey there,

There are tons of discussions on here about this. I'm going to offer a catalog per project, just to keep the size down. (Go back and search the "catalog size" threads.)

As we state often, CatDV standalone handles data very differently than CatDV client. It really depends on how many assets are on a single drive, as to whether you can have one catalog per drive. But play around and see how it runs with the various settings set up different ways and I'm sure you'll find a layout that works for you.

Keep us posted.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Steve West
on Sep 17, 2011 at 1:10:24 am

I'm not really concerned about the size of the catalog- it's more a workflow question. My problem is- I need to find what drive client "BigCompany's" footage is on, all I know is the clients name and maybe the month and it could be on one of 100 external drives. How would I implement CatDV to solve this problem?

My tests so far haven't worked. I'd really like to browse the file structure of a drive that's not connected (and see thumbnails of course)

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 17, 2011 at 2:14:09 am

That was my point. The size of the catalog is key as the larger they get, the more trouble they are, so you may not care now... but you will.

CatDV is not a drive scanning program (you can do that with $75 shareware, by the way.) It's best when implemented as the client of the CatDV Server which allows hundreds of thousands of assets (millions?) to be cataloged, tagged and managed.

"Browsing" is fine, to a point and then it fails. Case in point. If "BigCompany" is truly big, then there are multiple campaigns, maybe years of footage, perhaps several locations or campuses that need to share data and metadata. This is what CatDV is made to do. Do I put the July 2011 company retreat from Los Angeles in the "July 11" folder? In the "West Coast" folder? In the "Retreats and Events" folder? The answer is none... and all... by tagging those assets with metadata and then bringing it up in a search. Then I can find things pertinent to any type of project. (how would a new user know that there were 15 retreats over the years if they only browsed by date or by location in a folder structure? You would know that, of course, you are the person who shot it. But in a large enterprise, (and God forbid you not be around when BigCompany needs their footage) we have to prepare for dozens of people who have no prior knowledge of the media to be able to find things.

"Jones, make us a show reel of all the retreats over the last 10 years!" the boss says, and you could, without knowing how many there were or what folders to look in, if someone tagged them as "retreats".

Now, after a breath... back to your question. If you know the client name and the date, if you just used catalog sets by client, by date (BigCompany-1-thru-6-2011) then you could easily find anything and once you'd seen that the footage was what you wanted, you simply right click to "reveal in finder" or check the path in the metadata that you would have mapped into a convenient view for your workflow and go get your assets. There are like half a dozen ways to set that up and do that.

The benefit of this over the browse folder method is that you could immediately filter by any metadata field inside that catalog. If you needed the Widget Maker Convention footage, and you knew it was in that catalog, you'd simply open the catalog, filter by that data and those assets would be in the Main window. (again, if you had server, you could simply search for the convention and all those assets from any catalog, from any drive, from any date, would appear magically) "Widget Maker 2009, coming right up."

So often CatDV is seen as "Lightroom for video" and it's simply not. You can set it up for workflows that emulate that in some ways, but in the end, in it's best implementation, & in my opinion ONLY, it's part of a larger system that in most cases is priced beyond what a single user would want to pay. Standalone CatDV is amazing, but limited, as it's simply a client to a larger system that can stand on it's own for some uses. Its power is in networked search and asset management.

I hope that helps some, and I hope that if you dig deeper, you can engage a reseller to help you integrate the system. It's truly amazing, but may not be exactly right for your situation if you are looking to scan drives and browse a file system virtually. Indeed, we are here to replace the file system once things become too deep to manage that way. It's what we do.

Good Lord, it's Friday night, I have to get going.

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Steve West
on Sep 17, 2011 at 6:38:38 pm

That was quite an answer, you need to save that to your desktop for later use. Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Sep 18, 2011 at 3:03:57 pm

There are some posts by both Bryson and Kevin that should be stickies, well said Bryson! With that said it is quite flexible and everyone seems to use CatDV a little differently. To your point about drive scanning one way to have larger catalogs is to minimize the use of thumbnails or have none at all.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Sep 20, 2011 at 12:14:25 am

lol I was on a roll. I looked up and it was dark outside. ;)

bryson

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:12:05 am

Yeah who is the Mod for this forum?

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Sep 29, 2011 at 9:10:59 pm

I've begun looking at CatDV today, and really like the look of the networked workgroup option.

For the last several years (and, like you, nearly 100 external drives), I've been using CDFinder. It's been great for cataloging every drive and making things searchable by name, type, size, path, etc. I use it every single day.

However, I now have need for much more metadata for advanced searches that aren't file system related. And I need to provide a way for others to search for clips based on broader terms.

So, here we go!

Doug

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Sep 30, 2011 at 1:21:27 am

Doug CDFinder is really a compliment to CatDV from my view. CatDV being cross platform and utilizing a central database and server might be just the ticket to expand not only the metadata but the ability to collaborate. There are a number of videos here that can help you get to know the application better. http://www.squarebox.co.uk/tutorials.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]